Where are the newies?? (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy
english is not a science. my mind recoils from the grief that would bring.

*shudders at the thought*
now, we dont want people to be shuddering in the latin forum ... it'll detract people from coming ...:)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Latin is much more of a science than english....

on a serious note, latin has this logical pattern to it that relates to mathematics. Whenever I did a bit of latin study or had a class, if i did maths after that, the maths would just go easy, i rekon its no fluke

Milly

nice signature Milly! there area few Holy Grail ones going around

watch out for the head-eating rabbits

I fart in your general direction, monsieur, Arthur King!!!
I believe it's "I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries."

Oh, don't get me started on quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I never stop. Just ask Weisy!

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some... farcical aquatic ceremony -- I mean you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cos some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Okay okay flyin', back to Latin...

Latin is much more of a science than english....

on a serious note, latin has this logical pattern to it that relates to mathematics. Whenever I did a bit of latin study or had a class, if i did maths after that, the maths would just go easy, i rekon its no fluke
Yeah, Latin is so logical and neat. That's why it was always my favourite subject, it was a perfect mix of the left and right brain. (And of course the strange look people would give you when they found out you were doing Latin was always a bonus.)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Milly

Yeah, Latin is so logical and neat. That's why it was always my favourite subject, it was a perfect mix of the left and right brain. (And of course the strange look people would give you when they found out you were doing Latin was always a bonus.)
latin was nice and logical until the declensions became hazy (and you were too lazy to revise them) ... or was that just me ...

but is was funny to see the expressions of people who asked you what subjects you did and you would casually say 'latin' ...:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
yeah ... it also appeared to me ... or if not, i made it up and hoped for the best ...:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by professor
can i sing a latin song?!?!?
why not ...:)

just make sure you dont scare of prospective latin students who might stumble into this forum ... :D :p :D :p :D :p

professor

*clears throat*

Sub tuum praesidum
Confugimus, confugimus
Sancta Dei Genitrix,
Sancta Dei Genitrix

Nostras decprecationes
Ne despicias, ne despicias
In necessitatibus nostris,
Sed a periculis cunctis,
Libera nos semper,
Virgo gloriosa et benedicta.

:p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
*applauds at a song well done* ... (now would someone help translate that song) ...:)

professor

its some marist song...
translates:

we fly to your patronage
O Mary Mother of God

Despise not our prayers in our nexessities
but deliver us from all dangers,
ever glorious and blessed Virgin.

Amazing how short the translate is compare to the actual song...somehow i have the feeling theres something missing in the translate...mm...:confused:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the translation looks roughly right ... its surprising the translation is so short ...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by professor
can i sing a latin song?!?!?
yeah, that's great.

just nobody start "gaudeamus igitur"...:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy

just nobody start "gaudeamus igitur"...:D
we shall all have to rejoice ... this place needs some song and dance ...:p

kini mini

HSC
A song for entrance

To excuse my presence in the foreign country of Latinworld, I'll copy out my sch song ;)

Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis
Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis

Floreant praepositi
Praeceptores pueri
semper sit laus deo
semper sit laus deo

Right, there we go, salvete to all! :D. Translate it yourself if you want, damned if I know what it means apart from the obvious pueri = boys, semper = always etc etc.

What I want to know is, can it possibly be that the Latin forum has more new members than the French forum! Arrrgggghhhh! Got any secrets? ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Re: A song for entrance

Originally posted by kini mini
To excuse my presence in the foreign country of Latinworld, I'll copy out my sch song ;)

Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis
Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis

Floreant praepositi
Praeceptores pueri
semper sit laus deo
semper sit laus deo

Right, there we go, salvete to all! :D. Translate it yourself if you want, damned if I know what it means apart from the obvious pueri = boys, semper = always etc etc.

What I want to know is, can it possibly be that the Latin forum has more new members than the French forum! Arrrgggghhhh! Got any secrets? ;)
translation ... waiting for some other latin student ... maybe in a few hours ... i dont know ...

the secret behind attracting new members is first create a heap of threads (so it appear to be active ... people are suspicious of forums with no new posts) ... then repeated post in it (same reason as before) ... then make a few announcements ... throw in a *free* t-shirt (and notes are in the making) ... then have a few outsider visit ... and vola ... new members ... :)

sorry for selling secrets in attracting new members ... :p

the masterplan has taken nearly a month ... and the world of latin has clearly taken off ... just look at the three moderators ...:)

*refers to other thread about having three moderators* ... :D

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

we shall all have to rejoice ... this place needs some song and dance ...:p
you're evil.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Re: A song for entrance

Originally posted by kini mini

Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis
Floreat grammatica
Schola sydneiensis

Floreant praepositi
Praeceptores pueri
semper sit laus deo
semper sit laus deo

ok...much of this has 'learning', 'philosophy' and 'literature' connotations, but literally...

may Sydney Grammar school flourish
may the teachers and the boys, having been overseen, fourish
always may praise be to the lord.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)