Where are you going? (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
Meh. :p

With all due respect:

Funny attempt at backing up what you said previously.
I can add you to 'all the people I know' in the above example. I'm not sure you would think it was fair if I told a peer 'Well...all the people I know at UOW law are stupid'. Simply because 'all the perople i know' is undefined its going to be imputed to all UOW students. Especially if the comment is negative.

It would be interesting to see how you interpret your various law readings.
...like any other law student?

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
erawamai said:
I can add you to 'all the people I know' in the above example. I'm not sure you would think it was fair if I told a peer 'Well...all the people I know at UOW law are stupid'. Simply because 'all the perople i know' is undefined its going to be imputed to all UOW students. Especially if the comment is negative.

...like any other law student?
I don't think it changes what the person is trying to convey. It may true. All UoW'ers YOU know may be dumb in the head. It still doesn't change the fact that this observation is relevant to only the people YOU know. It is true though, that this may be used as a bad argument in support or against something, but if you can pick up the fact that it IS a BAD argument with no substance then most people can too.

Simply put, if you and I can interpret it correctly, then most people in the whole- wide- universe can. Unless you're going to tell me that we have some SooperDooperOmgMegaAwesomeWow abilities which are lacking in the majority of society.

What Ms 12 said is true in my case as well. ALL the aZns I know are doing Comm/LLB. I don't think there were any negative overtones in what she stated.

On a side note, the g8 snob you were using for your overly amusing example has been proved wrong in so many different ways that a person of normal and reasonable intellect would laugh if someone really said that. Esp the bit were he/she says UoW and its people are crap. :p

Which brings me to conclude that if someone really believed that ALL asians did Comm/LLB ONLY then ...i dunno...that would be heaps funny. :p

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
On a side note, the g8 snob you were using for your overly amusing example has been proved wrong in so many different ways that a person of normal and reasonable intellect would laugh if someone really said that. Esp the bit were he/she says UoW and its people are crap. :p

Which brings me to conclude that if someone really believed that ALL asians did Comm/LLB ONLY then ...i dunno...that would be heaps funny. :p
The fact that you needed to mention the above is evidence of the phase 'Well all the people I know from so and so are so and so' tends to impute all the bad characteristics of a few (at least someone of the street would not be able to define who is and who is not) onto everyone. ie You felt the need to defend UOW law.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
erawamai said:
The fact that you needed to mention the above is evidence of the phase 'Well all the people I know from so and so are so and so' tends to impute all the bad characteristics of a few (at least someone of the street would not be able to define who is and who is not) onto everyone. ie You felt the need to defend UOW law.
1) I was not defending anything because you were not attacking me. Or were you?

2) If you attacking me then that says a lot about your character and wit. Since you're attacking me and not the issue at hand.

3) I was talking about UoW in general. I do not see "LLB" or "Law" in the referred quote, disregarding the conclusion bit.

4) In terms of defending, I do not need to, since UoW is so sexy that I do not feel the neccessity to defend it. Many studies and recent reports are in support of the institution. I am no opinion leader, no one will listen to me if I was to defend it. Not like some people who think their opinions are kingshit.

5) Yep, try and decipher every single word I type and find a little gap. :p

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
santaslayer said:
1) I was not defending anything because you were not attacking me. Or were you?
Wasn't attacking you. The g8 law snob in the example was attacking your law faculty. Not you personally. In order to demonstrate my point I made g8 law snob say 'All the people I know from UOW law are bad law students'.

You went on to defend your law school/uni below. Which kinda proves my point about the imputation of traits to all when someone says something along the lines of 'well all the people I know from so and so are so and so'.

Your defence below.

santaslayer said:
On a side note, the g8 snob you were using for your overly amusing example has been proved wrong in so many different ways that a person of normal and reasonable intellect would laugh if someone really said that. Esp the bit were he/she says UoW and its people are crap.
-----------------------------------------------------

2) If you attacking me then that says a lot about your character and wit. Since you're attacking me and not the issue at hand.
Learning about in personam attacks? Reading Moonlight's guide to agood argument. No one attacked you. Only the g8 law snob who said what he had to show in order to make a point. You went and defended your law school against what g8 law snob said even though he says that it only applies to 'all the people I know'.

santaslayer said:
3) I was talking about UoW in general. I do not see "LLB" or "Law" in the referred quote, disregarding the conclusion bit.
Ok. I assumed you were talking about UOW law because you say...

santaslayer said:
a person of normal and reasonable intellect would laugh if someone really said that. Esp the bit were he/she says UoW and its people are crap.
I think is a decent assumption that you were defending uow law and not uow in general considering the G8 law snob referred to UOW law specifically not not UOW in general.

In fact the comment which you addressed specifically refers to UOW law. Below.

the g8 law snob said:
g8 law snob 1 'Yeah our uni is the best
g8 law snob 2 'Yeah all the law students I know from uow law are crap'
g8 law snob 1 'Yeah, uow law school is crap'
santa said:
4) In terms of defending, I do not need to, since UoW is so sexy that I do not feel the neccessity to defend it. Many studies and recent reports are in support of the institution. I am no opinion leader, no one will listen to me if I was to defend it. Not like some people who think their opinions are kingshit.
I think the above constitutes defending. Again.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
whEeeEeEEeeee.. frigey's home after celebrating :)

crashed at frds place last night :p

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
whEeeEeEEeeee.. frigey's home after celebrating :)

crashed at frds place last night :p
Is it just me, or are you intentionally avoiding any and all argument?

Demandred

HSC
sikeveo said:
I dont mean to be racist, but with law being so hard to get into (i.e uais are high), and heaps of asians/curries getting in, I never see them around the courts in the city? Do they pursue jobs elsewhere or are they still in uni (i.e this trend hasnt been for long) ??

Sorry if the answer is really obvious.
The majority tends to be anglo-saxon. There are like 7 asians out of the 50 in my crim law class.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Demandred said:
The majority tends to be anglo-saxon. There are like 7 asians out of the 50 in my crim law class.
That may be totally reversed at unsw - usyd

santaslayer

HSC
erawamai said:
Wasn't attacking you. The g8 law snob in the example was attacking your law faculty. Not you personally. In order to demonstrate my point I made g8 law snob say 'All the people I know from UOW law are bad law students'.
I do understand that.
I was poitning out that I could not go on to actually DEFEND anything (as u put) if you did not actually ATTACK me or anything I hold of importance. (whether it be UoW, it's law school or the people who study there).

erawamai said:
You went on to defend your law school/uni below. Which kinda proves my point about the imputation of traits to all when someone says something along the lines of 'well all the people I know from so and so are so and so'.

Your defence below.
It didn't prove anything of that nature at all. My statement you quoted was a 'sidenote' correction to the g8 snob. It further shows how a logical person like moi can pick out mistakes from a random's comment. It shows that similar examples, like Ms 12's statement CAN be logically put into CONTEXT and not interpreted in weird and wonderful ways. :p

erawamai said:
Learning about in personam attacks? Reading Moonlight's guide to agood argument. No one attacked you. Only the g8 law snob who said what he had to show in order to make a point. You went and defended your law school against what g8 law snob said even though he says that it only applies to 'all the people I know'.
No, I didn't read Moonlight's guide. I don't think I did anyway. It would be interesting to read though. I think they call it argumentum da homniem or something. I forget. :p
Again, I understand no one attacked me. :)

erawamai said:
Ok. I assumed you were talking about UOW law because you say...
Make up your mind. Are you agreeing with me or going to correct me? :p

erawamai said:
I think is a decent assumption that you were defending uow law and not uow in general considering the G8 law snob referred to UOW law specifically not not UOW in general.
OKOK. I must agree. It was probably about UoW Law in specific. But I still hold that defending was never present. :) (OKOK, present in your mind)

erawamai said:
bove constitutes defending. Again.
Meh, maybe it was a sad attempt at being funny. Next time I'll use emoticons adeqauetly. :)

Anyway, you sound like asqy.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Is it just me, or are you intentionally avoiding any and all argument?
i have been non-contentious lately because: a) heard all the uni A vs uni B arguments before; b) many assignments; c) girl problems.

there are greater things in life than spamming BoS with my views on moot points. :)

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
i have been non-contentious lately because: a) heard all the uni A vs uni B arguments before; b) many assignments; c) girl problems.

there are greater things in life than spamming BoS with my views on moot points. :)
Yeah. It gets so draining. All I now do in the history sections is point users to all the other threads that have ever been created on exactly the same topic.

santaslayer

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah. It gets so draining. All I now do in the history sections is point users to all the other threads that have ever been created on exactly the same topic.
Does that mean people start leaving BoS very soon? Since all thread topics would/have been exhausted? :)

X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
Does that mean people start leaving BoS very soon? Since all thread topics would/have been exhausted? :)
Well unless you plan on making more history, I would say so.

Let's face it, bos always has had an expiry date. Once all the oldies and frequents to the site leave Uni and get jobs, it'll die.

It would be really awkward if I was here in 5 years while I'm doing a PhD...:p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
tutor the next gen of lawkidz ;)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Well unless you plan on making more history, I would say so.

Let's face it, bos always has had an expiry date. Once all the oldies and frequents to the site leave Uni and get jobs, it'll die.

they change the syllabus once in a while, and people are too lazy to look at history, and people want large post counts, so no bos won't die unless something happens to the admin and they all go too poor and broke in which case im sure there will be some rich person who might fund bos

X

xeuyrawp

flyin' said:
they change the syllabus once in a while, and people are too lazy to look at history, and people want large post counts, so no bos won't die unless something happens to the admin and they all go too poor and broke in which case im sure there will be some rich person who might fund bos
Wen SC will fund it, I'm sure.

A big issue I have (apart from nasty, traditionalist snobs from usyd) is that people will ask a question and never come back to say thanks. A lot of the time, I'm not sure if they, or anyone else, even read it...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
A big issue I have (apart from nasty, traditionalist snobs from usyd) is that people will ask a question and never come back to say thanks. A lot of the time, I'm not sure if they, or anyone else, even read it...
actually bro u'd be surprised.

i've got a large amount of fanmail for a while in my hotmail for the chem notes i upped. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Wen SC will fund it, I'm sure.

People do come back to say thanks, and plus, most of the posts are for the "regulars". But I agree, its rude for them to reply with thanks or something like that.

Hmm... this thread makes me think of where an aspiring actuary might want to be in 5, 10, 15 years time.

X

xeuyrawp

flyin' said:
People do come back to say thanks, and plus, most of the posts are for the "regulars". But I agree, its rude for them to reply with thanks or something like that.
Would you like me to dig up all the threads where people don't come back?

Hmm... this thread makes me think of where an aspiring actuary might want to be in 5, 10, 15 years time.
Rich, unhappy, married to a Swedish model. The usual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)