Where do you discover new bands? (3 Viewers)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
I went to the site and searched up Metallica and it's genre...DEATH METAL....

WHAT THE FUCK?!?

The site is fucked. Metallica is not Death Metal it is Thrash/Speed Metal.
metallica is shit. that's why no one has noticed they classified it wrong

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I discover most new bands online from links from other band sites, seeing a lot of people on LiveJournal playing a certain band... and also sometimes through recommendations from people in the know

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
glitter burns said:
I discover most new bands online from links from other band sites, seeing a lot of people on LiveJournal playing a certain band... and also sometimes through recommendations from people in the know
yeah, i use lj as well.

there's countless ways.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
i usually look at america's & england's top 40 chart thingos on the net.. other than that, radio & magazines.

bex

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
i like staying up and watching rage
yeah i like it when bands do their own programming.. it was kinda funny that when franz did it, their playlist included tropical ice land by the fiery furnaces and walk like an egyption by the bangles which are two of my fave songs!

I do radio at uni and my friends are like fountains of music knowledge! but failing that i like FBi and Triple J for discovering music.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
bex said:
yeah i like it when bands do their own programming.. it was kinda funny that when franz did it, their playlist included tropical ice land by the fiery furnaces and walk like an egyption by the bangles which are two of my fave songs!

I do radio at uni and my friends are like fountains of music knowledge! but failing that i like FBi and Triple J for discovering music.
yeah i saw their playlist- was ok

but the best 1 of seen was when QOTSA guess programmed

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hear from trades with friends, usually find a good haul every year.

Evanescence, Linkin Park, Seether, Slipknot just to name a few we found before they became big.

The Livid, Finger Eleven, Di-Rect, < s > andwich are some bands we found recently and are still relatively unknown.

Mumma

HSC
allmusic > purevolume, which is a really shit site

Get a copy of winamp5 , go to shoutcast.com, search for a good station, and connect. Something youll like is bound to pop up at one point.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Zines and review sites.

http://www.metal-observer.com is probably one of the better ones, though its obviously going to do you no good if you want something apart from metal :cool:

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
if you're planning a trip back in time and have shit taste, then triple m is the go for new music

wanton-wonton

HSC
neo_o said:
Zines and review sites.

http://www.metal-observer.com is probably one of the better ones, though its obviously going to do you no good if you want something apart from metal :cool:
or metal-rules.com

again, nothing good apart from metal
great polls and stuff though
got all the new album reviews and live reviews and stuff.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Mostly find new bands through support acts... another great place is the Annandale. I remember seeing Superjesus and Grinspoon play there for $5 before they made it to the state they are now.

Another good place is just having a look through the indie music charts of chaosmusic and the like and finding a lot of smaller bands that are plying their trade.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Raiks said:
Another good place is just having a look through the indie music charts of chaosmusic and the like and finding a lot of smaller bands that are plying their trade.
Where can I find this chart? Is it just chaosmusic.com:)?

alman

i havent posted for so long...what a change.

but there's a few sources that have remained unnamed so far, that i think are pretty crucial.

I think street press is one of the biggest things. The 2 biggest are Drum Media and The Brag. 3D World is dance shite, for those that way inclined. How could we forget the good ol' Drum? It's free and comes out on Tuesday every week. The tough part is actually making a trip to find a copy (cd stores, pubs, etc).

FBI Radio is very, very good for Sydney music (and I'm a "passionate" member of FBI from the very start when it went big in 2003 - its probably bias). 2SER is also good but I find JJJ just too broad/national for my liking.

Good venues include the Metro, Basement but try Newtown/Erskineville/Annandale/Surry Hills for a myriad of places. There are simply too many places to list. Raiks got it right with the Annandale but another place getting big is the Gaelic Club and Hopetoun. What i recommend is to get the Drum Media and peruse the gig listings at the back of it. It goes for a whole week ahead! Start planning as you get it.

The hard task is finding music that you like and bands you like. I like my music, compose it and pretty much live it outside of uni. Another hard thing is finding people who like your music tastes (for me it's rock,pop,folk,jazz,soul) - no one likes going out by themselves.

Hope that helps.

Another thing: what you can do is find a band(s)/singer(s) you really, really like and see what influenced them and work your way backwards. Thats what started my interest in Elton John, Miles Davis, Janis Joplin (among others). It's made my CD/DVD collection a bit too big (about the 300 CD mark at least) - I've preferred the sound quality of CD than MP3 but that's a minor matter, bar for audiophiles.

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I generally use the combination of online reviews and MP3 downloads in order to discover 'new' music. The problem with radio is that in many cases, even if you like the song, it soon becomes horribly overplayed. 'Take Me Out', by Franz Ferdinand is a prime example of this problem, which most stations suffer from. Triple J is by no means exempt from this.

However, there are other useful means, like the recommendations of friends and/or family (assuming they have decent taste), and occasionally looking at guest-programmed episodes of Rage. [Have gotten into some bands through that medium.]

As a rule, it is generally much easier to find music you dislike. Just turn on the radio or MTV. :p

stamos

sellout
HSC
usually i just send a PM to w1ck3d_c10wn when i need some musical advice

HSC
Can't be arsed reading the entire thread, but www.audioscrobbler.com may be worth a look. Basically it's a plugin you install for (whatever media player, seems to support most), and you register for an account.

As you listen to each song, it sends the details off and builds a musical profile of your taste, and then after you've listened to enough it'll start comparing you to other users and will offer recommendations based on the sort of stuff similar people (People with similar taste, it's a little superficial to say that these people are automatically similar, but I'm sure you get my dritf) are listening to, allocate to you 'musical neighbours' and a bunch of other stuff. You can found groups and manage a friends list and whatever else, but these aren't really where the bulk of the utility from using this stem from (at least so far, I haven't been using it long) :)

for the purpose of illustration, http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Spl33n/ is my account. Some of the recommendations are a bit whack, but it's more accurate than I expected.

Prior to this I mostly used google :) Find a band you like, see who they say they like, investigate other bands that members have been in, bands that are compared to them, and maybe bands they've toured with, etc.

More recently I've also used trial and error, largely thanks to ADSL :) Download an album, if it's good, investigate more, if it sucks, delete it and try again (Obviously not as viable on dialup or whatever).

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
www.nightlive.com.au is pretty good

the local gig guide is mainly for wollongong area, but its coming soon to parramatta, but it has big gig events for all over the joint. <--- found in "going off"

i also check out the wollongong youth center. thursday nights is free band nights 6-8.30pm
and they alwasy have good cheap concerts. ive been to so many concerts there, and saved money for if they were to play at in syd somewhere or wollongong entertainment center.
saw the ataris with one dollar short a few years back for $20, plud they had another band before the $1short and they were pretty good. seen them at the youthie before. cant remember their name.

Last edited:
HSC
usually word of mouth and friends.
local gigs.
mono.net
screamingbloodymess.com
and random purchases from paint it black record store in newtown

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)