• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where do you keep your plates? (1 Viewer)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
seremify007 said:
Why would the tint not allow them to stick on? I thought tinting was done on the outside of the car, and the window ones are adhesive on the P plate side (ie. the side with the P plate design) and hence are affixed to the inside of the car.
Nah my tint is aftermarket and is on the inside.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i have the front one in above the dash near me and the back is half covering the tail light that is inside the car. but from what one of my friends told me when they got pulled over once the cop told them that they couldnt put in front of them on the dash. i reckon its cos they wouldnt be able to prove that you didnt have them on :p

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
ALL tinting is done on the inside. Any sort of chemicals can damage it - that's why they suggest not to use window cleaning chemicals on the inside after a tint job. Factory tints are different, where the glass itself is darkened in a baking process, with no laminates on either side.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do they tint the windshield/rear window though? I don't even know if my car had factory tint- if they did, it's barely noticable. Still yet to get it tinted aftermarket though.

HSC
most car dealerships have tinting as an option, but its much cheaper if you get it done elsewhere..
and yes they do tint the rear window.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah, rear tinting is done. Generally however, they last several years before they bubble (or turn purple if not the metallic type). Then you might have to replace the whole rear windshield once you rip the laminate off and the copper wiring from the demisters along with it.
I went to Tint-A-Car and they couldn't give a guarantee of more than 2-3-4 (I don't remember the exact number) years.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
My P plates are magnetic and I stick them on the front and back but remove them when I am not driving. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ToO LaZy ^* said:
most car dealerships have tinting as an option, but its much cheaper if you get it done elsewhere..
and yes they do tint the rear window.
Usually it's at excessive prices- even if they offer a long warranty for it. I refused to pay $1k for my Civic to be tinted.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
My car has P plate holders, though the back room broke off and I now stick the plate in the back window. In the both the 4WDs I put it behind the number plate and under the canopy door on the Navara. With the Hilux I have to tie the bugger on so I usually don't bother unless I am going along way or somewhere I think there might actually be a cop who cares.

I used to have magnetic ones, but I can't find them. Anyway, I could only use them on the Navara, I had one on the bonnet that blew off in a strong wind that I was driving into, but the one on the back never fell off.

It'll be good to be rid of P plates because they're a nuisance and you get the occasional idiot at uni who thinks it would be funny to steal them. I keep a stack of spare ones in the car so it's not a big deal.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Enlightened_One said:
It'll be good to be rid of P plates because they're a nuisance and you get the occasional idiot at uni who thinks it would be funny to steal them. I keep a stack of spare ones in the car so it's not a big deal.
Happened at my high school too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)