• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where do you rank? Take a Free Online Physics Exam (1 Viewer)

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
this is really cool!
thanks!

How accurate are the estimates?
because im given an estimate of 98 and i find that quite hard to believe LOL
It sounds like you are at a top school and are ranked highly... so 98 sounds right.

Just a quick note on this... I have have noticed a lot of people not putting their correct school in the details section (don't worry I am not going to stalk you).

Particularly if you are at a top 200 school, the ATAR prediction relies on the correct school (otherwise it will be off- and generally too low).

The top 200 schools are recorded in a database, so if you start typing your school name it should pop up for you.

hjed

HSC
Hi, good site.
Is that test supposed to be harder then the HSC multiple choice because it certainty feels more difficult?

Also you have a rounding error in question 3:
the last digit of the correct answer should be 6 not five as it should round up.

Out of interest when you provide percentiles do you adjust based on the fact that the majority of site users will be reasonably academic students and so your mean is going to be above the actual state mean?
Like some others have said it would be create if you could post a leader board (or even just an "out of x students").

It would also be good if you could leave the rank based marker on your plan page even after you've taken the exam.

Out of interest how do you determine percentiles for small class sizes, for example I ranked first in my school in Extension 1 English (out of 2) and your site places me in the 32nd percentile?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, good site.
Is that test supposed to be harder then the HSC multiple choice because it certainty feels more difficult?

Also you have a rounding error in question 3:
the last digit of the correct answer should be 6 not five as it should round up.

Out of interest when you provide percentiles do you adjust based on the fact that the majority of site users will be reasonably academic students and so your mean is going to be above the actual state mean?
Like some others have said it would be create if you could post a leader board (or even just an "out of x students").

It would also be good if you could leave the rank based marker on your plan page even after you've taken the exam.

Out of interest how do you determine percentiles for small class sizes, for example I ranked first in my school in Extension 1 English (out of 2) and your site places me in the 32nd percentile?

Thanks.
Ok cheers for the feedback... Will take a look at Q3.

In general I try to put the trickier stuff in my exams, so you can find out what you don't know.

The percentiles show you the % of people you beat who have taken the same exam. The algorithm is not real time unfortunately, but it runs twice a day. Note, even if you get 20/20 you still wont get a 100% percentile (unless you are the only one who got 20/20).

So far the average for this physics exam, taking out obvious outliers is 13.75... and only 2 people have got 20/20 so far.

There are still some bugs with the ATAR planner. Obviously small class sizes are one (but hard to avoid). Theoretically being 1st out of 100 is better than being 1st out of 10. When the classes are very small (less than 5) theres obviously a big distortion so we may have to make a fix for that.

I find not being able to adjust the duxify rank tab annoying as well and I will probably change it in the next release...

Cheers for your feedback, much appreciated.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Will def look at some sort of leader board... It was an idea we had initially as well- the dux of duxify- but were unsure if people wanted their name up in lights. I guess you would if you were on the leader board.

With regard most of the users being academically bright given they are seeking out something like duxify- this is definitely the case. My argument is that you are better having the information than not. And as the sample gets bigger and more students get involved (from all over NSW) then this bias will not be as big.

hjed

HSC
With regard most of the users being academically bright given they are seeking out something like duxify- this is definitely the case. My argument is that you are better having the information than not. And as the sample gets bigger and more students get involved (from all over NSW) then this bias will not be as big.
Yeah, it is really useful to know, thank you for that.
I was more thinking that it might stuff up your ATAR calculator if the percentiles are off from what students are likely to achieve. Maybe you could use an adjusted percentile (based on class ranks) for that?

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it is really useful to know, thank you for that.
I was more thinking that it might stuff up your ATAR calculator if the percentiles are off from what students are likely to achieve. Maybe you could use an adjusted percentile (based on class ranks) for that?
Thats not a bad idea... Or it could just be a floating thing that doesn't factor into the ATAR calc. I guess its a question of whether the percentile estimates from a Duxify exam are better than estimated ones based on your school rank.... At the moment with relatively small samples for the exams the estimates based on your school rank are probably better...

Will definitely look at something like this for the next release.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I believe for the Chemistry test, question 50's answer is incorrect.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Wait, the answer when you do the drop down thingy says the correct answer, but highlights the wrong answer. Yeah Chem test 1

ocatal

HSC
Because the question says 'which is false,' its correct in saying the answer is the incorrect one.

EDIT: I think the answer given is right if you think about it. The wording is quite tricky though.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
there are heaps of bugs in the physics one as well. i eg, i chose alternative c and it said wrong, the answer is c, WTF

fionarykim

HSC
It sounds like you are at a top school and are ranked highly... so 98 sounds right.

Just a quick note on this... I have have noticed a lot of people not putting their correct school in the details section (don't worry I am not going to stalk you).

Particularly if you are at a top 200 school, the ATAR prediction relies on the correct school (otherwise it will be off- and generally too low).

The top 200 schools are recorded in a database, so if you start typing your school name it should pop up for you.
LOOLOL my schools ranked like 140 ish thoughs
when i added my ranks again it gave me 94 which seems more accurate xP

when will your other exams be upp??
this is sorta a more 'effective' procrastination :DD

Web Addict

HSC
What exactly are the tests for English and Mathematics going to be like?

LOOLOL my schools ranked like 140 ish thoughs
when i added my ranks again it gave me 94 which seems more accurate xP

when will your other exams be upp??
this is sorta a more 'effective' procrastination :DD
You're so correct about the 'effective' procrastication.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Still working on that... obviously multiple choice qstns won't work for a lot of subjects.

I do have some ideas, but it is prob a few years off... We are working on the lower hanging fruit first.

I think multiple choice works ok for the sciences... We will prob add "embedded text" questions at some point.

For example:

Alkanes (CnH2n+2) are .......... since they only have carbon-carbon single bonds. This makes them relatively ......... They undergo ......... reactions with substances such as bromine or chlorine only in the presence of U.V light. For example, .........

So you would have options in each of the blanks... it makes it a bit more like a short answer question. There is also text recognition software out there which could be used for testing short answer but it seems pretty basic and expensive (and more trouble than its worth).

I am having enough trouble getting multiple choice questions right!

hjed

HSC
Do you have any plans for doing SDD exams?
They would work well with multiple choice...

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have any plans for doing SDD exams?
They would work well with multiple choice...
I haven't really looked at the syllabus for SDD... thanks for the tip.

The other consideration is the number of students taking the course. I think it could really help in something like general maths.... There are 31,000 students taking general maths (the most popular subject after eng standard but not by much).

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Some feedback from Test 1.

There were 52 participants.

Taking out obvious outliers, the average was 13.2.

There were only 3 perfect scores (20/20).

The hardest questions were:

Q20- Meisner effect (41% people got this correct)
Q14- AC generator vs motor (56% correct)
Q6- centripetal force and gravitational force for satellites (56% correct)
Q11- back EMF (59% correct)

Thank you to everyone who had a go… Much appreciated.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
I know everyone is probably busy studying for English, but I have put up another 20 question physics exam.

I think this one is harder than the first.

I will put up 1 new exam each week into the exam.

Goodluck!

I you have any questions/issues/feedback PM me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)