Where for Bachelor of Science in Physics? Astronomy? (1 Viewer)

Looking Glass

HSC
Hi.

I've got a bit of a last minute dilemma regarding my University preferences. I was hoping somebody not as thoroughly ignorant of the whole process could advise me. I appreciate any time anybody is willing to give.

The dream is to one day become an astronomer. But that's just the dream, and I enjoy all physics. Now, I'm no mathematician either. I attained a low band 5 in both HSC Maths (not Standard and not Extension) and Physics and I think that was about my upper limit in that regard. I hear that if Astronomy is the dream then a phD is essentially what's necessary. I doubt I'll have the time/money/perseverence, however, and my mathematical abilities render my likelihood of achieveing Honours rather low, I feel. But then, I have no basis for assuming the difficulty of the maths involved.

Here's what I'm thinking: Bachelor of Science in Astronomy and Astrophysics, only offered by Macquarie. However, if I am going to simply get a degree and leave it there for whatever reason, then my prospects for becoming an actual astronomer would be rather low. That's why I'm considering getting a general degree in physics instead that would set me up better for other career paths, whether in physics or not. Offcourse, general physics degrees are offered in many places. I'm limited to Universities in Sydney, however, and I'd still like to be able to do a little astronomy within my degree. My UAI should be a non issue if everything goes according to plan.

Is my thinking ill-informed? If not, which university would be a better choice for a science/physics degree. I see the Bachelor of Science at Sydney has a higher cut-off - is it more popular there becuase the faculty is better?

Anyway, I've left this all a little late as you can see, but thanks in advance for any informed/expert guidance,

LG

Looking Glass

HSC
What about physics in general, then? Where is considered best for that?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Probably USyd ceteris paribus is what I would choose.

Last edited:

sly_skittle

HSC
Musk said:
Actually ANU would be the best at science in general since its the best research uni
i remember reading somewhere (not sure where) that ANU has the best astronomy course in australia and is in the top 5 in the world- it's meant to be one (if not the)strongest of ANU's subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)