• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Where is everyone up to in Maths (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
We're on Quadratic function.. but for some reason we skipped series and all that -_-

ahdil33

HSC
at our school we accelerate and finish whole 2u course early term 3, so like 80 of us can do 2u HSC in yr 11. just need to finish log, exp functions and trig with calculus. School hasn't touched 3u yet lol but we did some in yr 10

Aysce

HSC
We're up to Calculus! Woo 2 weeks behind...

jane bubble

HSC
Okay, reading all of this, I think we are really behind

Here is what we have done:

Basic algebra, arithmitic and equations and stuff
plane geo
trig
coord. geo
functions

How can I 'self-learn' for maths? my teacher is really cool and when he explains it, its very simple, but when i read the textbook on my own (fitxpatrick), then its harder....

What should i do...?

what other subjects should i do 'self-learning'

and is it too late in the holidays to do this?

Aysce

HSC
Well you could possibly hire a tutor to go through the content with so you could get a more-indepth understanding of the topic, or you could borrow/buy another textbook which gives a clear general idea of the concepts. And no it is not too late.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Finished and sat 2U HSC last year, finished 3U last term and need to complete Conics, Volumes and second half of mechanics for 4U. This is at school btw, not independent study.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
How am I the only person that finds geometry hard? Everyone says it's the easiest topic! I think I'm shape dyslexic I swear. In my last maths test, I was trying to prove a triangle was congruent and I got stuck and DIDN'T realise they had a common side, likes seriously WTH?

I like math that's algebra mainly.

We just finished up one of the easiest topics in maths. All about lines and intercepts, basically using formulas alot. Not sure what the chapter was specifically called haha

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
How am I the only person that finds geometry hard? Everyone says it's the easiest topic! I think I'm shape dyslexic I swear. In my last maths test, I was trying to prove a triangle was congruent and I got stuck and DIDN'T realise they had a common side, likes seriously WTH?

We just finished up one of the easiest topics in maths. All about lines and intercepts, basically using formulas alot. Not sure what the chapter was specifically called haha
Shape your mind to see patterns.

Gigacube

HSC

Don't worry, everyone is good at different things. Just keep practicing it using different textbooks. I was having a lot of trouble with Circle Geometry in school using the MiF text. I did the topic again using the Cambridge text and it made it a lot easier for me.

Some times you'll miss the obvious & keep looking for the hard stuff.

Aysce

HSC

Don't worry I was terrible at geometry but once you do lots and lots of questions, it becomes systematic and you know what to look for straight away. Consistency is the key :p.

Alkanes

HSC
Circle geo sucks ass. I spend most of the time turning around paper into various angles to try and find the slightest of info.. most of the time is fail but.

Aysce

HSC
Yeah I hate it so much, its a mind fuck >.<

maths lover

HSC
Don't worry I was terrible at geometry but once you do lots and lots of questions, it becomes systematic and you know what to look for straight away. Consistency is the key :p.
this!, most of yous would remember my post about me having troubles with circle geometry but after doing this thick printout of literally over 100 questions i believe i am quite solid, its all about exposing yourself to a variety of questions.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
this!, most of yous would remember my post about me having troubles with circle geometry but after doing this thick printout of literally over 100 questions i believe i am quite solid, its all about exposing yourself to a variety of questions.
Or go extreme and do those overseas questions. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)