Where to buy? (1 Viewer)

token girl

HSC
Inspired by the literary acquisitions thread, where do you get your books? Do you have a favourite store that you're intensely loyal to, or do you follow the bargains?

Personally, Mr Pickwick's in Katoomba is THE best secondhand bookstore ever! For those also browsing the "buy or borrow" thread, it has those Victorian floor to ceiling bookshelves - unfortunately without the ladders...

My fav. bit is the signs that say (something along the lines of) "feel free to browse for however long you like...there are no obligations to buy anything"...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i either borrow books from the library, or buy them from big w/kmart/angus n robertson

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Angus & Robertson, Dymocks, the library or second-hand book stores or stalls, especially at the markets.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok you're out Katoomba way, so you probably won't know Abbeys on York St (CBD). They have an EXCELLENT collection of Classics, not to mention an unmatched range of bilingual classical works (ie Greek-English or Latin-English).

Most of the really big stores are well stocked with the great works, like Kinokuniya, Borders (any of them), the Dymocks City Store or the big Collin's stores (I only know of the one in Broadway).

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Ok you're out Katoomba way, so you probably won't know Abbeys on York St (CBD). They have an EXCELLENT collection of Classics, not to mention an unmatched range of bilingual classical works (ie Greek-English or Latin-English).
What's the prices like? I'm in the city everyday, might check them out.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Newtown second hand bookstores rock. All along kent st.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I found a really cheap bookstore called the basement (i think thats the name) in the city its kinda in central station just followed the tunnel

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's Basement Books, under Railway Square (at the Henry Deane Arcade, between the Devonshire Street Tunnel and the Ultimo Pedestrian Network). It's very good for finding your bargains, but their supply of books is completely unpredictable.

Regarding the question above, prices vary from the very cheap ($5 for Wordsworth) to the very expensive (don't ask). I don't remember how much the Bilingual Classics cost at Abbeys, but I have a feeling they're around the $30 mark.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i like dymocks cos it usually has larger stores than angus and robertsons with a wider collection...plus they have more HSC textbooks/study guides than angus which only has EXCEL!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah A+R isn't good for anything except bargains. Like, they have a decent range, and they're ok if you want common books cheaper...but that's all.

Of course, most of my book shopping happends at Kinokuniya. :)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I like the A&R in Pitt St Mall. It's downstairs and bloody huge.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by veanz
Newtown second hand bookstores rock. All along kent st.
My favourite of those is Elizabeth's. A very large range (With the requisite ladders), affordable prices (Bought The Chekhov Omnibus for $6.95, and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead for $12, ten dollars cheaper than at Bookworld), and good categorisation. (Only bookshop I've seen where 'Utopian' literature is classified as 'Philosophy', a designation I agree on.) Good stuff..

Co-Op has a nice range of academic books.. (I counted at least five Foucault texts there.). Joining up on Thursday. :p

From my experience, most bookstores in the Campbelltown area are not particularly good.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I pass the second hand bookstores when I come home from college. I get off early tomorrow so I might go check them out because they look excellent.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i think markets are a GREAT way to find cheap books.
well, i got to norm bookstores and outles of big W and target.
novels there are cheaper compared to angus and robertson, dymocks etc

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i borrow

otherwise dymocks - get their booklover card. at least you get a voucher if you spend enough.

and target / other stores

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)