Where to live? (1 Viewer)

kaylz

HSC
Current CSUers?
Where is the best place to live?
The catered premium cottages sound good, and work out to roughly $150 pw. How big are the rooms? Would I be expected to share a room? Are there phone and internet connections in each room? Just how bad is the food? Can you bring any extra furniture? Are the beds single or double? Are the rooms heated / air conditioned? Also - when you're a student do you have to pay extra to use the uni gym etc.? If so, how much?

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
How big are the rooms?
I have seen inside two of the different types of accommodation (I myself have never been in one) and the rooms are quite small. They're not as big as a bedroom.

Would I be expected to share a room?

I don't think in the catered rooms you would share. At CSU Bathurst most of the rooms are single rooms. And anyway, you have to elect to be in a shared room, so unless you have elected this you will not be placed in one.

Are there phone and internet connections in each room?

Yes there are both telephone and data connections. The phone rates are much higher than what you would have at home. However I think the internal phone system (calling people in other rooms / lecturers / uni depts) are free.

The internet is quite expensive, they charge by the MB at uni.

Just how bad is the food?

I have eaten a few times at the dining hall. The food isn't 'vomit' material, but I suppose you would get sick of it after a while if you had to eat it everyday. I suppose at times when you really want a change you could always go in town and get something else.

Can you bring any extra furniture?

If you're talking about desks and draws, forget it. A small CD player, computer etc you can bring. But anything else would just get in the way from what I saw.

Last edited:

kaylz

HSC
have you seen inside (or even outside) the premium cottages though? do they have another name, because i couldn't see them on the campus map? which accomodation has the nicest buildings?

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
kaylz said:
have you seen inside (or even outside) the premium cottages though? do they have another name, because i couldn't see them on the campus map? which accomodation has the nicest buildings?
I went in to the cottages when I went to visit someone. They're like a big house. However the rooms are small, and you won't fit much more than what's already inside them. They provide you with a bed, desk, draws etc.

The worst part of on-campus is that theres a shared shower. It isn't 'open plan' I don't think, but it is shared, and I have heard it can get gross sometimes. Someone told me they used to wear thongs into the shower to stop getting feet infections. I don't want to scare you or anything but thats what they said.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
mattsta said:
The worst part of on-campus is that theres a shared shower. It isn't 'open plan' I don't think, but it is shared, and I have heard it can get gross sometimes. Someone told me they used to wear thongs into the shower to stop getting feet infections. I don't want to scare you or anything but thats what they said.

I was just about to post up about showers and toliets asking if they are all shared. I so could not live with that for four years.

bex

HSC
mattsta said:
I went in to the cottages when I went to visit someone. They're like a big house. However the rooms are small, and you won't fit much more than what's already inside them. They provide you with a bed, desk, draws etc.

matt you seem to do a lot of speculating about what living on campus might be like without actually having lived there...

the shared showers are fine. in towers you share 2 toilets and 2 showers between 8 people, but everyone has such different schedules that you never really have to wait. The toilets and showers are cleaned DAILY and i never once got a foot infection from the shower in the 3 years i lived there.

cottages are also known as WINDRADYNE

and the uni gym is free. as are most uni services.. thats what you pay student fees for!

bex

HSC
Logain said:
But doesn't VSU change all that?
absolutely.. VSU means that less funds will be coming in and the uni will decide what happens to them, rather than the SRC. This means that student services will now attract fees- the gym, the unibar, student shops, the minimart, uni games teams, inter uni sporting competition etc etc

At regional unis this will have a major effect because we already receive less funding than metro unis, but we tend to need it more because the students often move to the town where the uni is, rather than commuting.

I dont know what changes this will mean in 2006 but they wont be good.

bex

HSC
yeah its shite.. student politics is dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)