Where to sit to survive a plane crash (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
  • Sit within seven rows of an exit, and hope a plane crash does not disable it. People who sit there have more chance of surviving.

• Count the rows you pass when taking your seat. Plan your exit.

• Practise undoing your seat belt. Even pilots can have brainstorms and treat it like a car seat belt.

• Study the safety card so you can brace yourself properly. It could save your life.

• Don't take a sleeping tablet or drink too much. You have only 90 seconds to get out.

• Don't try to find all your friends or family. Leave the plane with those nearest to you.

• If you land in water do not inflate your lifejacket before leaving the plane. It can trap you inside.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23460386-36335,00.html?from=hpdropzone

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Sit closest to the Data Box, Black Box, as it always seems to survive:uhoh:

Zrap

glock9
HSC
hahaha i worry about this every time i get on a plane. I usually laugh at first class, they'll most likely die first, right?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
The back of the aircraft. If it's a head on collision (which usually is the case), the rows in front of you should absorb some of the momentum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123

Something like a dozen passengers seated near the back of the plane survived but most of them died of exposure (the rescue crews didn't arrive until the next morning due to poor visibility apparently).

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
lol, I love you chickypie! A Liberal and a morbid sense of humour! Can there be any better combination?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
goony said:
The back of the aircraft. If it's a head on collision (which usually is the case), the rows in front of you should absorb some of the momentum.

Something like a dozen passengers seated near the back of the plane survived but most of them died of exposure (the rescue crews didn't arrive until the next morning due to poor visibility apparently).

Wow what a story, can't believe that's one of the deadliest, I thought the worse plane crashes happened in the United States, lol.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
goony said:

If you sit near the tail you get the worst turbulence and you smell the loos for the whole flight. Tradeoff.

I thought mythbusters tested this and said 1st class was safest... but who the hell that is on BoS flies first class?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
chicky_pie said:
  • If you land in water do not inflate your lifejacket before leaving the plane. It can trap you inside.
If you land (crash) in water you are pretty much screwed no matter what. There is not much of a point in putting on a life jacket at all.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If you land (crash) in water you are pretty much screwed no matter what. There is not much of a point in putting on a life jacket at all.

That really depend how the plan crashes into the water, maybe the plane breaks up before it sinks to the bottom of the ocean where little mermaid and her sea creature friends hang out, lol.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
chicky_pie said:
That really depend how the plan crashes into the water, maybe the plane breaks up before it sinks to the bottom of the ocean where little mermaid and her sea creature friends hang out, lol.
It would break up... the engines would dig into the water and rip the plane into 1000 pieces... an uninflated life jacket isn't going to help a whole lot in that situation.

rozymisty

HSC
I heard that stuff too on some program back in January. I always sit on the wing, coz of less turbulance. I make sure that i have my seatbelt on at all times, unless i go to the loo (gee how can pple root each other in those things?? Smaller than a phone booth!!)

Was interesting learning about the life jacket thing, especially about the oil....if you inflate while you jump out its more dangerous i think.....

I will always make sure now to count the number of seats and to sit in the aisle and never drink.

First time i flew, I was meant to have window seat, but someone took it, and they were like oh sorry you want it, and i was like nah bit scared of heights lol. Hate flying over water....dont know how id go flying overseas lol..would have to definately get an aisle seat. I just am scared of like that plane crash that was in ACI a few years ago where it just broke up i n the ocean.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im pretty sure the chances of having a car accident are much higher than a plane crashing.
that said i love flying in planes.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
jemsta said:
im pretty sure the chances of having a car accident are much higher than a plane crashing.
that said i love flying in planes.
Me too. But the 1st Final Destination movie, kinda scared me from sitting next to the window... you know many passengers sitting near the window in that movie were flying out of it when the plane was starting to crash. So yeah...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jemsta said:
Plane crash: 1 in 10 million
Car accident: 1 in 5000

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
You will not fly out of the window of a plane if it crashes.

I think the nose and tail ends of the plane do OK in a crash, its the middle bit which tends to break apart and fling people everywhere.

But the odds are enormously against a plane crashing, especially in Australia.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
because of you i never stray too far from the sidewalk
because of you i ride the plane on the safe side so i dont get hurt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)