where/when do we get textbooks? (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
Coop Bookstore, every university has one, it just about covers all the textbooks needed by the university. You can find out your prescribed texts for your units on the website or check out the unit outline (kind of like a syllabus). Website:

http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop

Lainee

HSC
A hint: Don't buy your textbooks until you've had a class for it and the lecturer has specifically told you whether you need it or not. Sometimes, you'll have a course that has minimal use of a textbook and it's enough to borrow it from the library on those occasions where you do need it.

Textbooks are a huge cost so look for other options like buying second-hand (ask here if anyone wants to part with a particular book), or www.textbookexchange.com.au which is a great service. There are also flyers around the uni that advertise pre-loved books for sale from previous students. www.textsinthecity.com.au is where I bought the bulk of my textbooks this year since it was slightly cheaper than the Coop.

bustinjustin

HSC
How much for course readers and textbooks?

When we start off with first year, how much money would we need for course readers and the odd second hand textbook or two, say for Political Economy, Government and languages? Just concerned about the financial aspect since I'm backpacking for a month just before uni starts and I wouldn't have had earned any money for that (I'm going to have to turn to parents on this one - I swear, I funded/am funding most of my holiday)

somecooldude

HSC
Lainee said:
A hint: Don't buy your textbooks until you've had a class for it and the lecturer has specifically told you whether you need it or not. Sometimes, you'll have a course that has minimal use of a textbook and it's enough to borrow it from the library on those occasions where you do need it.

Textbooks are a huge cost so look for other options like buying second-hand (ask here if anyone wants to part with a particular book), or www.textbookexchange.com.au which is a great service. There are also flyers around the uni that advertise pre-loved books for sale from previous students. www.textsinthecity.com.au is where I bought the bulk of my textbooks this year since it was slightly cheaper than the Coop.
thanks for this advice

on a side note: where are you going backpacking justin?

X

xeuyrawp

somecooldude said:
starting uni 2006.

when/where do we get textbooks?
I wouldn't actually get anything from the co-op. I'd go to www.less10.com ; obviously you won't get the book immediately, but usually they're a lot cheaper. The shipping's pretty fast, anyway, with the estimated time of arrival always accurate, in my experience.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC

bustinjustin

HSC
somecooldude said:
thanks for this advice

on a side note: where are you going backpacking justin?
I'm going away for the whole of Februrary, first to a wedding in the Philippines, then to Singapore to meet a desperately lonely cousin and a long time friend from Kindergarten, I'll cross over to Malaysia and back, and I might just squeeze in Hong Kong to meet another desperately lonely friend. It's a continent short of Europe but any solo month-along holiday (my first trip alone overseas) is exciting (!)

It should give me a lot of stories to tell when meeting people in lectures and tutes come March....

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Even if you are told by the lecturer that you need a textbook you might not need it if the lecture notes are posted online like they have been for all of my subjects so far. What I am going to do this year is wait a couple weeks and see myself if I actually need to buy textbooks.

Demandred

HSC
Start saving for those textbooks. Don't be surprised to pay excess of $500 for your first semester, I know law ones cost $200 per unit, if you're going for second hand, roughly half of that. Some univserities post their readings a month or so before, sometimes only in the unit outline.

I've seen some people being really cheap and photocopy a whole book from the library which is technically illegal :).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha, one of my friends did that. But, it was like $130 to buy the textbook, or only like $40 or something to photocopy it.

X

xeuyrawp

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
For many subjects textbooks aren't necessary. I would wait until after the first lecture for each of your subjects before you consider buying textbooks, especially if you can't afford them all. Remember to see what the lecturer says about them first.

Look in your SRC's second hand bookshop, and your Alumni's bookshop (or Co-op) and see if you can also get the books much cheaper.

kcchippy

HSC
Wow, this is a really cool thread! Thanks all you generous uni people who offered some much needed advice!! And thanks you smart person who started the thread!!

somecooldude

HSC
bustinjustin said:
I'm going away for the whole of Februrary, first to a wedding in the Philippines, then to Singapore to meet a desperately lonely cousin and a long time friend from Kindergarten, I'll cross over to Malaysia and back, and I might just squeeze in Hong Kong to meet another desperately lonely friend. It's a continent short of Europe but any solo month-along holiday (my first trip alone overseas) is exciting (!)

It should give me a lot of stories to tell when meeting people in lectures and tutes come March....

cool, im going to philippines and hong kong too lol but no wedding.

somecooldude

HSC
kcchippy said:
Wow, this is a really cool thread! Thanks all you generous uni people who offered some much needed advice!! And thanks you smart person who started the thread!!
thanks ^^ 10 char

Lainee

HSC
bustinjustin said:
When we start off with first year, how much money would we need for course readers and the odd second hand textbook or two, say for Political Economy, Government and languages? Just concerned about the financial aspect since I'm backpacking for a month just before uni starts and I wouldn't have had earned any money for that (I'm going to have to turn to parents on this one - I swear, I funded/am funding most of my holiday)
I'd say keep at least $300 on hand which should cover 2nd hand textbooks and readers for one semester, but you should try to put aside $500 in case you have that odd $200 book that can't be bought 2nd hand (eg. you need the newest edition or some other reason).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)