Where's best? (1 Viewer)

starlitwonder

HSC
I want to do an Arts/ Psychology degree at uni, with a minor in either french or italian. does anybody know/ reccomend the best university to do this at?

phrred

HSC
Macq and UNSW have very good psych departments

Usyd has a very good arts dept but their psych is average

starlitwonder

HSC
Thanks - I've been told that for psych at UNSW you need sciences. I don't particularly want to do a science based course. I probably should have clarified that. I hadn't thought of Macquarie though, thanks

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
From what I've heard MQ, UWS, and UNSW all have very good psych depts. Also, both MQ and UWS have B Arts(Psychology) which would be right up your alley and both MQ and UWS have NAADI accredited language subjects(apparently..)

However there is one other factor that must be remembered: if you wish to be a psychologist, and not just study it as part of your degree then you must do the 4 year BPsych or similar which involves science no matter where you study your degree.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
starlitwonder said:
Thanks - I've been told that for psych at UNSW you need sciences. I don't particularly want to do a science based course. I probably should have clarified that. I hadn't thought of Macquarie though, thanks
At UNSW psych is considered a science, hence it's part of the science faculty.

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
You can do psychology as a second major in an arts degree at usyd

or you can do a liberal studies degree (which is what I'm doing), which combines an arts major with a science major, and if you take psychology as your science major, the only extra bit of science you need to do is one semester of maths (which is only the degree requirement and not a prerequisite of any of the psychology units)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=PSYC02

B Arts-Psychology. If you have specific questions on the actual psych component, do a search in the Macquarie forums.

As for the langauges, MQ lets you take any language in basically any degree, as long as you can handle it in your workload.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unitcodeprefix.php?edition=2006&ulevel=ug&unitCodePrefix=FRN

For French.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unitcodeprefix.php?edition=2006&ulevel=ug&unitCodePrefix=ITL

For Italian.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
fleepbasding said:
haha, back to floggin' melbourne uni are we?

edit: you doing any language at melb uni?
I love my uni...hehehehe.

I am not doing any languages at Melb Uni, I can't (look at my degree in the sig), but my sister did languages there. Italian...and I think Russian...can't remember.

stine

HSC
Like nemuca, I'm doing liberal studies at USYD and I'm doing psychology as my science major. I'm not particularly maths/science oriented either and so I've chosen a general statistics unit of study as my compulsory semester of maths - it's designed for arts students!

Also, liberal studies requires you to study a language for two years and so that fits perfectly with your choice to study french or italian. I'm doing advanced italian as my language, but you could do both french and italian if you wish because one of them could be your arts major and the other your "compulsory" language unit of study.

Lastly, if you choose to do two majors (you can do three) there will be spare units here and there in 2nd year and onwards for you to pursue any other interests you wish to dabble in..e.g begin another language, history, philosophy etc.

PM me if you're interested in hearing how the course is once I've started on monday :)

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I just looked in the good universities guide, and according to graduates, Macquarie is the best uni to do psyche/arts degree. I actually heard most of the tutors at mq are quite good too, so yeh, i would recommend u to study there...

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
I think you should do psychology at USyd because the student population affords such a plethora of potential subjects for analysis. You never know, in converstion with a USyd student when I WANT TO SLEEP WITH MY MOTHER he will make a tell-tale Freudian slip ... Analyse that.

Hugs and a little pat on the bum from the Northern Beaches,
- Manly Chief :)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i want to do arts/psych too, i'm surprised that USYD apparently doesn't have very good psych facilities i mean, the UAI is so bloody high you'd think you were getting some sort of grand education or something *grumbles about extremely high UAIs*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)