Which and How many Artists for Essay?? (1 Viewer)

lealea226

HSC
I was just wondering if it really does matter how many artists you write about in your essay for the art exam?? I know 3 is a good number, but I was wondering if it was possible to only talk about 2 artists but have a strong argument, or does it really matter how many artists you choose? I was going to write about: Frida Kahlo, Rene Magritte, Ah Xian and maybe Salvador Dali (but i think with the little time we have for our essays I can only fit in 3 of them). I chose them becuase they all have surreal symbolism in their works. So do you guys reackon these artists are good? And what do you guys reckon about writing about 2 or 3 of them??

cocolossil

HSC
It's good you've chosen artists you like but i'd look up a few artists as back up. For example for feminsim; babara kruger. For Aboriginal Art; Michael riley (relate to papunya)... I'd go over Macel Duchamp & Andy Warhol.
It really depends on the question.. just get to know your art movements & if you can associate at least one artist to it then you'll be prepared.

Artists like Titian can be related to alot of questions as either a comparison to tradional art & you can relate it to feminism.
Dada is also a very important art movement to remember.. it can be associated to nearly anything because it was the introduction to collage works (therefore contributing to post-modern & transforming the art world), it disregarded conventions (contributing to Abstract expressionism) and it questioned both cultural and political points, it even questioned what art was.

Its not so much about quantity but quality. Art is about going indepth.

*Hint: Indigenous Art has been in almost every art exam.. i'd be prepared for that.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I like to have 8-10 up my sleeve so i can pick out the artists that will suit the question best, not vice versa. Im not forced to try and adapt an artist to a question that does not suit. It also gives you a greater range of essay questions to choose from, so you can pick one that really interests you.

I usually pick artists from a variety of different movements and have a few of their artworks in my head i can talk about. The artists ill probably use are

Francis Bacon
The chapman brothers
Goya
Dali and Buunchen when they were making films
Bosch
Andrew Wyeth
Picasso
Cezanne
Lichtenstein
Mondrian

So lots to compare and contrast :p

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
nope. i'm just going to do no more than 3. i dont want to get my facts mixed up for such an important exam... Tracy Moffatt, Cindy Sherman, and prob Andy Warhol with his film work... but i'm familiar with stacks of different artists and movements so i should be right if they go spastic and vomit a bunch of retarded questions in our direction.

lealea226

HSC
tangotrace said:
nope. i'm just going to do no more than 3. i dont want to get my facts mixed up for such an important exam... Tracy Moffatt, Cindy Sherman, and prob Andy Warhol with his film work... but i'm familiar with stacks of different artists and movements so i should be right if they go spastic and vomit a bunch of retarded questions in our direction.
Yeah see that was what I was concerned about. I thought if I studied too many artists it would fuck my head up and Id get my facts mixed up and it would just be an overload on my brain when I dont need it you know? My art teacher told me there are actually 3 questions on the frames, 3 on the conceptual framework and 3 on artist practice. That its important to know why historically and critically an artwork exsists is really all you need to write a good essay. I just dont want to spend my time studying artists I wont need when I can concentrate on a handful that I will use anyway.

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
lealea226 said:
My art teacher told me there are actually 3 questions on the frames, 3 on the conceptual framework and 3 on artist practice. That its important to know why historically and critically an artwork exsists is really all you need to write a good essay.
yea... um, it'd be super duper benefitial to you if you had a look at a couple of past papers... the practice ones usually involve the practice of critics to... but that's a bit harder so i recomend stearing away from them. Frames is easiest imo... you know for sure you'll be able to talk about your artists competently at the very least.

hayyleyy

HSC
yea i think thats the good way to do it.... learn a few artists really well.... and then u should only have to talk about 2 or maybe 3 in the essay
i have always only done 2 artists in my essays at school and that is wat they expected...
im just making sure ive got a few postmodern artists up my sleeve cause theres bound to be a question on postmodernism

lealea226

HSC
Mmk, so which post-modern artists would be best do you reckon??

hayyleyy

HSC
hmmm dont actually know... kinda studying alot more for chem and pdh now rather than art :S
im doing cindy sherman i think.... or u could do judy chicago or barbara kruger maybs. dont really know.. im also doing gustav klimt i think.... but he's not postmodern

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)