Which Bio option did you do for 2008? (1 Viewer)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
communication
rambled on a bit though
wasnt a fan of the questions

Cob-was-here

HSC
procrastinater said:
same here! what u think of it?
did u get the diagram of the dna hybridisation question?
totally did not know wat the hell was dat :(
other than that, they were a relief... :p

That was an easy one. But only a couple textbooks had it.

Grey Matter

HSC
Communications

Thought I did well afterwards, though only when I dot home did I realise, I got Cerebral Palsy mixed up with MS. :bomb:

dolbinau

HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
Yeah I put the energy transformations just above the diagram.

All I knew was cochlear implants and hearing aids for hearing...i'm not sure if there is anything else.

Lol yeah I had something similar for research on cochlear implants too! XD

Oh what did you think of that 8 mark question in the main section? I had no idea what to do so I just reworded stuff from the extract!!! XD
Yeah I don't know if that was a good idea :p, but, what I did was talk about biological concepts and how they relate to our blood bank process.

The stimulus basically had three parts

1. Type of blood products

2. Way they are stored

3. Safety procedures

So for each part I talked about the concepts behind it, so for 1 I talked about our knowledge of blood products specifically Plasma and red blood cells/haemoglobin

for 2 I talked about concepts from Maintaining a balance about pH etc.. (I can't remember what else was on the stimulus here)

for 3 I talked about the immune response, macfarlane burnett/pasteur/koch mentioned briefly about their work with the immune response/antigens and pathogens.

So all of our knowledge on these concepts has driven us to run the blood bank this way.

Then for impacts of society (which I also integrated throughout I think) I talked about positives so like, no diseases, specific products and also negatives (Bacteria from stimulus in platelets). I also mentioned Artificial blood here as an alternative that won't have the same problems.

My writing was amazingly tiny to fit it all in too. I hope I talked about what they were looking for, it was a bit of a strange question.

raz11

HSC
Just wondering, for communications with the question involving the diagram would you be able to draw a flowchart labelling the outer middle and inner or did you have to draw a picture?

-::Sanni::-

HSC
dolbinau said:
Yeah I don't know if that was a good idea :p, but, what I did was talk about biological concepts and how they relate to our blood bank process.

The stimulus basically had three parts

1. Type of blood products

2. Way they are stored

3. Safety procedures

So for each part I talked about the concepts behind it, so for 1 I talked about our knowledge of blood products specifically Plasma and red blood cells/haemoglobin

for 2 I talked about concepts from Maintaining a balance about pH etc.. (I can't remember what else was on the stimulus here)

for 3 I talked about the immune response, macfarlane burnett/pasteur/koch mentioned briefly about their work with the immune response/antigens and pathogens.

So all of our knowledge on these concepts has driven us to run the blood bank this way.

Then for impacts of society (which I also integrated throughout I think) I talked about positives so like, no diseases, specific products and also negatives (Bacteria from stimulus in platelets). I also mentioned Artificial blood here as an alternative that won't have the same problems.

My writing was amazingly tiny to fit it all in too. I hope I talked about what they were looking for, it was a bit of a strange question.
Oh my GOD! Why didn't I think of those things... X_X

I was so fixated on how freaky the question was that I missed out on things I could have related to it...grrrr :mad1: Well i did mention what red blood cells and platelets were used for! XD

Well if I was the marker I would so give you 8/8 for that! It seems very thorough...well from what you've posted here.

HSC
raz11 said:
Just wondering, for communications with the question involving the diagram would you be able to draw a flowchart labelling the outer middle and inner or did you have to draw a picture?
I drew a (pretty cruddy) picture. I didn't even consider drawing a flowchart...maybe you could, I'm not sure. I can't remember the question exactly.

Wait a sec...it did say to label parts didn't it? I think by that it meant the ear parts on the diagram...pinna, ossicles, cochlea and yea...

dolbinau

HSC
raz11 said:
I don't know. But it said labelled diagram so I don't know how you can do that with a flow chart :(.

And thanks, Sanni :p.

HSC
dolbinau said:
And thanks, Sanni :p.
You seem like a band 6 student actually! :uhhuh: You must have studied really hard. I wish I had put more effort during the holidays *sigh*

'Was and will make me ill' - Lenina from Brave New World XD <--I memorised that quote and I didn't even end up using it!

dolbinau

HSC
My internal assessment/CSSA Trial were above 90% but stupid mistakes and easier internal marking make it hard to tell what I am, lol.

tau281290

HSC
Genetics: The Code Broken?

What ONE possible area of Future research did you guys put for the last question for this option?

raz11

HSC
-::Sanni::- said:
I drew a (pretty cruddy) picture. I didn't even consider drawing a flowchart...maybe you could, I'm not sure. I can't remember the question exactly.

Wait a sec...it did say to label parts didn't it? I think by that it meant the ear parts on the diagram...pinna, ossicles, cochlea and yea...
haha ok thanks, yeah i immediately drew a flowchart because i had looked over one at home that went through the parts of the ear and then i thought wait i think im meant to draw a picture but couldnt be bothered after that
haha woops...

lollypoplady

HSC
tau281290 said:
Genetics: The Code Broken?

What ONE possible area of Future research did you guys put for the last question for this option?
Pftt i was like research into the function and structure of non-coding regions of DNA not expressed in phenotypes etc. Crapped on about how the HGP gave the sequence for these regions and how this could provide the basis for further comparisons of non-coding regions with coding regions and what makes them be treated in different ways. I really had no idea.... what did u do?

loki911

HSC
Human story the most boringest (made up a word that is how much that it sucked) but i liked the question despite i was completely wrong which i lost 4 marks already. Other then that i went ok i guess made some simple mistakes, well no band 6 for me >.> and that landslide first hand investiagtion took me a while.

SDM100

HSC
yeh i used a flow diagram as well- dont think itl cut it!! how many marks was that question worth??

raz11

HSC
SDM100 said:
-thats for the ear diagram in comm. option
yeaah!! so you did it to?
yeah i realise now it was mean to a drawing but for some reason it didnt click at the time im pretty sure a flow chart is a 'type' of diagram but i really doubt theyd accept it i just put
pinna
auditory canal
tympanic membrane
ossicles
oval window
cochlea
hair cells
auditory nerve
brain

and put arrows in between each and wrote next to pinna, ossicles, and cochlea - outer middle inner
they might count it for one mark out of the three but i really doubt it!!

HSC
just had a scary thought about communication - for the question about the two receptors, were we expected to explain them? i remember that it wasn't worth much, so i assumed that listing two would be enough... should have explained, just to be safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)