which car? (1 Viewer)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
ok so im getting a new car in the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down to:

holden astra cdx coupe
ford focus zetec
honda civic vti

all new.

anyone had any experience with any of these cars? i am going to go test driving on saturday and was just hoping to get some opinions/advice from people who may own or know someone who owns any of these cars - pros and cons etc

thx guyz ^___^

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
honda civic is the way to go.
their reliability is top notch, and they dont depreciate as much as holdens and fords, which means they hold their value much longer.
however, the servicing costs are more costly than holden and ford. :)

CieL

HSC
I test drove the Civic and the Focus [and other little cars] at the end of last year.

I've written the same old review over and over again on this forum..

But anyways.. if you want details, you can search up in this forum..

Long story short

Focus = biggest piece of shit i've ever encountered.
Civic = best choice out of the three.

We ended up getting the 07 Civic VTi-L btw..

Oh, pros and cons of the Civic........ *thinks*.........

Pros: Good quality build, good power for a little engine [imo, much better than the 2.0L focus i drove].... it's hard to say good things when your ride is better than a civic.. I think I'll leave this bit to seremify..
Cons: I dont like the side-rear view mirrors.. it's one of those "objects may be further than they appear" mirrors.. steering is too light.. not powerful enough..

Ooohh let me talk about the Focus!
Pros: Absolutely nothing..
Cons: Shit tyres, shitty plastic inside the car, shitty indicators which are the side of a baby's foot [and European sides], shitty engine which can't even do 90 downhill with 4 ppl in the car, shitty brakes which dont allow you to stop gracefully and without noise, the interior design looks a billion years old.. everything's wrong with that car - I hated it badly..

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yeah im thinking more the astra or civic atm, i was actually almost decided on the civic but there are a lot of posts on the ozhonda forums about shoddy build quality of the current gen civics.... and cd players not working properly etc

but anyway i shall see on saturday i guess. thanks for the review :)

oh and chadd, what happened to your vw golf? >:\

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
Wouldn't reccomend buying new but I'm sure you've already thought about that.
I'm a Honda driver so obviously a little biased. The Astra is a nice car too though, reliable but expect quicker deprecation than you would get on the Honda. I'd steer clear of the Ford personally.

CieL

HSC
Honestly, we're having problems with the driver's electric window atm [on the 07 Civic].. and the car's only a few months old..

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
CieL said:
Honestly, we're having problems with the driver's electric window atm [on the 07 Civic].. and the car's only a few months old..
How's that go for you? Have seen them at the dealership and been tempted.
Being a ghetto fabulous uni student I have a pretty old Honda. Looks beautiful though, people occasionally ask me if it's a 99 model :S

CieL

HSC
47.46.45 said:
How's that go for you? Have seen them at the dealership and been tempted.
Being a ghetto fabulous uni student I have a pretty old Honda. Looks beautiful though, people occasionally ask me if it's a 99 model :S
The new Civic?
I dont think the Civic "wow"s me enough.. it's just a better version of a Corolla or something.. idk, I dont even drive the Civic besides once in a blue moon - it's my mum's car.. I drive another Honda

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i think its mainly the interior of the new civics that i like. they look alright from the outside... dont like the tail lights though. although i saw a dude driving one which would have been the civic sport, black, he had light coloured leather seats and big 18" (?) wheels with red brake pad things, it looked AWESOME. i cant afford that though lol :(

CieL

HSC
Well, if it's the Civic Sport, you were looking at a leather interior...

The Vti-L down only has dull grey fabric..

Interior-wise.. yeah.. it's alright.. you're like "wow numbers!" at the speedo for one trip and then you get over it ahahah.. but being me, I liked the old fashioned clock-like speedo more =]

lengy

HSC
I'm very biased on your list. I've been against the new Civic so I wouldn't choose it. Same goes with the Astra. So I'd pick the Focus even if it was the worst out of the three because I don't like the other two.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow... good comparo, I test drove all three of those because I was looking at those. I'm not sure if you realise this but in your comparo you have the base model Civic VTi which is considerably cheaper than the others which are the premium models. Nonetheless I'd pick the Civic not just on price but for other reasons... although it depends on the transmission too. Don't forget to try out the new Corolla if you are manual since it comes with a slick 6 speed.

1. Civic VTi (there's a reason why I bought this one in the end- in VTi-L)
Pros: Excellent build, most awesome interior of the lot (the speedo, the dash, the seats, etc.. everything is good quality), nicest steering wheel (if you get VTi-L/sport you get steering wheel controls), very nice engine/transmission/drivetrain combination in the automatic giving it sufficiently good drive & I like the handling (although it's not as sporty as other cars), comfortable to sit in.
(For your comparison though, you should've picked the Sport to make it more 'even' in comparison... since it'll have the mp3 stacker, leather interior, sunroof, 2.0L engine, etc..; but for your choices, the Civic is by far the best value for money here)
Cons: Handbrake is awkward location, crap stock headlights across the range (swap these for aftermarket bulbs asap), in the VTi you're getting steel wheels (which is expected in base model?), Not much torque so you need to learn to drive the Civic to make the most of it in the VTi/VTi-L (1.8L), VTi has very basic safety features (only 2 airbags)

2. Astra Coupe CDX (I was heart set on this car until I drove it)
Pros: Looks very sweet, has alot of features, great sound system for stock, superb build quality and strength (better than the Civic I'd say), great handling, cheap to run/maintain, good warranty from memory, has a good safety record too
Cons: Automatic is undriveable with the 1.8L/4speed Ecotec engine (it's horribly slow, there's a huge delay when accelerating!, sound system/computer in the CDX is difficult and confusing to use (and this is in comparison to say.. BMW's iDrive), interior is a bit dark for my liking but still comfortable, crap rear vision

3. Focus Zetec (The plastics in the demo car were falling off and the seat belt feeder was damaged- and the dealer told us this was a relatively new demo before we got in.... >__> )
Pros: 2.0L engine has plenty of up and go... handling also quite good from memory. Shouldn't be too exp since price drops on the Zetec are plentiful; however resale value will be affected significantly. Transmission module was pretty good too- not as amazingly brilliant as the Civic though.
Cons: Build quality is so shate you won't even want to sit in it, let alone drive it. User-features seem friendly to operate but are so flimsy looking you'll avoid touching things in case you worry you might snap them or something. Not many features or gizmos either; very bland interior compared to the Civic and Astra.

Hope this helps. Btw if you're looking at auto, the new Corolla is only a 4 speeder so I'd daresay it's in the same league as the Astra.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
breaking said:
ok so im getting a new car in the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down to:

holden astra cdx coupe
ford focus zetec
honda civic vti

all new.

anyone had any experience with any of these cars? i am going to go test driving on saturday and was just hoping to get some opinions/advice from people who may own or know someone who owns any of these cars - pros and cons etc

thx guyz ^___^

what happened to getting a falcon ute u cunt

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
update: i just saw some new corollas in a shopping centre and had a quick look at them, sat inside etc... i was actually really impressed with the build quality, all the storage spaces etc... so i have added this to my list. i'd probably go for the levin SX.

oh and thanks seremify, that info helps HEAPS. yeah i should have mentioned... i'd definitely be getting a manual. i can't drive them yet :eek: but my dad is going to teach me lol. yeah i've seen a pic of the astra coupe's back window (from the inside), i can imagine that rear vision would be absolutely shocking. but i guess i'll find out on the weekend. as for the civic, yeh i know the vti is just the base model but i dont really think there is enough difference between that and the vti-l to justify the price difference. as opposed to the astra cd and cdx where there are quite a few better features.

i've pretty much ruled the focus out now anyway.... think i will test drive the astra and corolla on the weekend, possibly the civic too.

EDIT: haha yeah i know hey bowman. eh idk, i just think it'd be a novelty that would wear off after a while. that rip curl ute looks awesome though, with the neoprene seats and shit. plus most of my mates who have utes have either sold them or are going to because costing too much to run or they are sick of only having two seats or whatever. so i wouldn't be able to like go cruising with them :cool:

Last edited:

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
get a bagged dual cab or a space cab.
plenty of room...sorta.
an the ute looks sick as. here are a few i can recomend.
the green one jap-350 is for sale 20G. an it's got a LS1 in it. it hauls ass. lives around the corner from me. i cream everytime i see him drive by

CieL

HSC
Is breaking still on his Ps?

Unless he's on his fulls he can't drive a car with a LS1..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)