Which course to do?? (1 Viewer)

Meshy590

HSC
So I have two options: UNSW Economics and USyd Economics. I want to transfer into Law after 1st yr.

If I go to UNSW and apply for internal transfer, it's solely based on WAM. If I go to USyd and apply for internal transfer, it's 50% GPA and 50% ATAR. And if I go to USyd, and apply for an external transfer to UNSW, it's 50% ATAR, 50% WAM.

Now, UNSW guarantees a minimum of 100 places for internal transfers, but if I choose to take this path, my ATAR just gets wasted. My question is, would it be safer to go to UNSW and go for an internal transfer, or is the 50% ATAR and 50% uni marks a better option??

Thanks!

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
what do you mean "My ATAR gets wasted"? You can always apply internally and externally and see how you go both ways.

J18134

HSC
Want to hit people who say 'my atar gets wasted.' Its just so utterly dumb. If your atar gets you into the eco degree then its not wasted. You dont have to do something just so your atar is used 'well'

Meshy590

HSC
what do you mean "My ATAR gets wasted"? You can always apply internally and externally and see how you go both ways.
Yea, I could do that, but I would prefer going to Usyd for law, and I would prefer going there from the start, rather than changing unis.

Meshy590

HSC
Want to hit people who say 'my atar gets wasted.' Its just so utterly dumb. If your atar gets you into the eco degree then its not wasted. You dont have to do something just so your atar is used 'well'
No I didn't mean it like that. I wanted to get into Law, but missed out, so I'm doing a single degree and transferring.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
He means, his atar won't be taken into consideration lol..

You've got an atar of 99.60 OP, i say you should go to usyd and get d average and internal.

Madridismo

HSC
Ask on the Usyd and UNSW forums of what eco is like in each university, check out the online handbooks to see which courses you are going to take in 2013 so you can see what it's like. (I'm not sure whether it's Sem 1 WAM or overall 2013 WAM they look at). Furthermore, on the UNSW forum there is a "UNSW subject Review" thread and see if any of the units you might be doing are in there and so you see what others think of it and what it consists for.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=175560

Go for the one you think you can do good in but I'd say UNSW economics! Purely because of the internal transfer; the minimum 100 places they have for internal transfers and you cannot be sure if the 50% WAM + 50% ATAR will get you through!

Meshy590

HSC
Ask on the Usyd and UNSW forums of what eco is like in each university, check out the online handbooks to see which courses you are going to take in 2013 so you can see what it's like. (I'm not sure whether it's Sem 1 WAM or overall 2013 WAM they look at). Furthermore, on the UNSW forum there is a "UNSW subject Review" thread and see if any of the units you might be doing are in there and so you see what others think of it and what it consists for.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=175560

Go for the one you think you can do good in but I'd say UNSW economics! Purely because of the internal transfer; the minimum 100 places they have for internal transfers and you cannot be sure if the 50% WAM + 50% ATAR will get you through!

This is true, but it will all be dependant on how I fare in uni. With my ATAR, perhaps going to Usyd will give me a bit of an edge, will it not?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
As an opinion with the provided information you've given going to usyd gives you that bit of comfort when you think about it, as long as you maintain a decent grade in uni (high credit low distinction), i don't see much that can go wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)