Which degree : Economics or Commerce ?? (1 Viewer)

velvetorchid

HSC
If I was to major in Economics and Marketing, should I do it in the Economics degree or the Commerce degree? What are the differences/pros and cons?

TIA =)

BlackDragon

HSC
*edits first part out*

but anyway, definitely economics i think. depending on what you do within the degree it can and will be far more meaningful and give you far greater scope in terms of careers and more understanding of the world and the processes of the world.

Last edited:

velvetorchid

HSC
But since the Eco major is compulsory in the Eco degree whereas it is optional in the Comm degree, wouldnt one choose to do it in the Comm degree just in case they change their mind later on?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Commerce= more flexibility

Am I right?

Though, last time I checked, the B Economics had a lower cutoff (by around 2 pts) and so that's something you can consider.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
If you're fairly sure you want to study economics, do the Bachelor of Economics at USYD, as its far mor flexible with only 4 core subjects as opposed to the 11 core subjects you need to do in the BCom. But at UNSW - just do commerce as its the same deal, just more room to move around the degree, particularly if you change your mind about economics.

Also, if you're still tossing up between universities - I would strongly recommend that you do it at Sydney, its the best for economics - its economics honours program is the most rigorous in NSW, if not in Australia. fyi I'm doing the BEc at Sydney for these reasons, and so far its been pretty good

D

Dr. Futebol

i love scotch
scotch scotch scotch
stock down my throat
in my stomach.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
do you want to work in marketing? if so, commerce is a better option. there's not much need for a complimentary marketing major, either. The core subjects you'll study in commerce are perfect for marketers :)

velvetorchid

HSC
stazi said:
do you want to work in marketing? if so, commerce is a better option. there's not much need for a complimentary marketing major, either. The core subjects you'll study in commerce are perfect for marketers :)
Lol... I don't think I even know what it's called *blushes* but I want to be able to foresee and predict how well a product will sell in the market and calculate or strategise? on the best method of making it happen... HELP!! lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
velvetorchid said:
Lol... I don't think I even know what it's called *blushes* but I want to be able to foresee and predict how well a product will sell in the market and calculate or strategise? on the best method of making it happen... HELP!! lol
The simplest way of looking at marketing is that it deals with the four Ps:

Price
Product
Place
Promotion

You tweak those to increase sales.

e.g. You have a toothbrush

Price - how expensive should it be, if you make it $4, will it sell more? will it have the best return?

Product - what features should it have? what colours should it be available in? what should it's packaging be?

Place - how do you distribute the toothbrush? do you want it to be sold at supermarkets? at corner stores? who will you use to distribute the brushes to those stores?

Promotion - how do you promote it? do you include sample toothbrushes in fast food stores (as has been done before)? do you run a TV ad campaign (if so, what agency will you use to make your ads?)?

I want to be able to foresee and predict how well a product will sell in the market
that is usually a role of marketing researchers. they will try and provide you with research for which areas have demand, which parts of your product mix need modification, etc.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i believe you need to do b comm...

b eco you can only major in econ and metrix last time i check...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
No. You have to do a major in econ or metrics but you can do an additional major within the E and B faculty.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
No. You have to do a major in econ or metrics but you can do an additional major within the E and B faculty.
QFT

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/course/FH029.html said:

Students can also complete additional majors from the Faculties of Economics and Business, Arts, Science, Education and Social Work or Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, or from other faculties of the University of Sydney (subject to approval by the Faculty of Economics and Business).

in which case, do b econ, as it requires less core units... (most people hates accounting and infs)

Last edited:

cimbom

HSC
velvetorchid said:
That sounds like econometrics to me.. business forecasting methods like regression modelling..

I think it would be easier to major in econometrics and maybe marketing in B.Commerce though. You have to do first and second year economics subjects (economics minor) still in B.Economics. But offers have already come out (?).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
do you really think she sounds like an econometrist :p and predicting how a product will sell in the market and devising strategies isnt really an econometric thing. i think shes interested in the people side, not the mathematical model side which is never really used for new product development anymore

Quintin

HSC
long story short if you have the marsk for commerce you should always do commerce. They have very similar core subjects but in commerce you can chose whatever you want including economics as a major as in economics you can only do economics or econometrics as a major. hope that helps.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
not always true... ACCT and INFS are not core for b economics, which in turn would make the degree alot more flexible than B comm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)