• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which degree for Cybersecurity (IT vs Comp Sci vs Cyber) (1 Viewer)

lonelystudent571

HSC
Hello,
I've been researching universities and am confused on which degree to choose.
I want to enter the cybersecurity field. UNSW has 3 degrees:
  • Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
  • Bachelor of Cybersecurity (Canberra City)
  • Bachelor of Information systems (under the business faculty).
I'm ok at maths, but I like coding more.
Also is UTS a good university for computer/IT degrees? They also have a standalone cybersecurity degree and its in Sydney so I wouldn't have to move and their ATAR requirements are lower. I'm not sure if their reputation is good tho.
Thanks

liamkk112

HSC
cybersecurity is a pretty "niche" field in terms of education, most unis don't even have a cybersecurity degree for that reason, so compsci isn't a bad choice. fyi unsw compsci has cybersecurity as a major so there's that (or something of a similar name), the bachelor of cybersecurity is offered at canberra bc of the australian defence force (im pretty sure if u do a degree there it's sponsored by the adf or whatever, probably free placements too). unsw compsci is also slightly more math heavy than uts, not anything extraneous though.

tbh when it comes to tech uni rep isn't a big deal (unless ur gunning for google or something), heavy heavy emphasis on experience mostly. especially in cybersecurity, companies also eat up things like cisco certifications (they're kinda like short online classes) for all the different niches, and of course projects and all that, still though experience is the biggest thing. pick either uni, if you don't want to move out of sydney then just pick unsw compsci/uts cybersec and go from there, it's not a big deal. also consider idea at uts - it gives u placements while u do the degree basically, unsw co-op also is similar. just keep in mind that a uni degree doesn't really guarantee a job in cybersec, as i said it's pretty niche and a lot of people in the field have multiple years of experience (usually in regular IT first in things like networking and other stuff that has small elements of security), not to say it's impossible to get a job in cybersec or anything but u definetly need things past a degree to get one

lonelystudent571

HSC
Is doing an IT degree with a major in cybersec also a good alternative.
I'm not sure what the difference between IT and computer science is.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,
I've been researching universities and am confused on which degree to choose.
I want to enter the cybersecurity field. UNSW has 3 degrees:
  • Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
  • Bachelor of Cybersecurity (Canberra City)
  • Bachelor of Information systems (under the business faculty).
I'm ok at maths, but I like coding more.
Also is UTS a good university for computer/IT degrees? They also have a standalone cybersecurity degree and its in Sydney so I wouldn't have to move and their ATAR requirements are lower. I'm not sure if their reputation is good tho.
Thanks
If you want to get into cyber security, whether for defence but especially for offence please do NOT do a Cyber Security or IT degree. I work in the field and the best advice I can give is out of the three to do computer science with a major in cyber security.
Computer Science will give you a rigorous understanding of programming, applications, operating systems, networks which is crucial for Cyber and is either not taught, or not taught with anywhere near the same rigour in a cyber or it degree. You can do 2/3 certificates after uni on the outside if you want which will be equivalent to an entire cybersec/it degree and will be a fraction of the cost.

synthesisFR

HSC
If you want to get into cyber security, whether for defence but especially for offence please do NOT do a Cyber Security or IT degree. I work in the field and the best advice I can give is out of the three to do computer science with a major in cyber security.
Computer Science will give you a rigorous understanding of programming, applications, operating systems, networks which is crucial for Cyber and is either not taught, or not taught with anywhere near the same rigour in a cyber or it degree. You can do 2/3 certificates after uni on the outside which will literally be equivalent to an entire cybersec/it degree.
why?
im pre sure ine of my cousins did an it degree then an internship for a cybersec job or wtv and got a job offer straight out of uni

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
why?
im pre sure ine of my cousins did an it degree then an internship for a cybersec job or wtv and got a job offer straight out of uni
That’s good for them, I’m not saying you won’t get a job with a cyber degree but its no so much about getting a job as it is about getting a rigorous and well rounded understanding which a cyber degree will not give you. This is especially true for offensive cyber. An internship would’ve helped their case too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)