Which do u prefer THEORY or PRACTICAL? (1 Viewer)

shuttupkissme

HSC
I don't know about you, but have you ever thought 'Art should be considered 2 subjects'!! No more bludging in class; Art is as demanding as ever now. So i just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on which you prefer.. theory or practical? With out sounding like a nerd, I SOOO prefer theory!! Practical lessons are the worst because our teacher just hassles and gives us lectures on how we're behind compared to Ravenswood and North Sydney Girls. BLAH! By the way, sharing of concepts is encouraged too :rofl:

HSC
N/A
I think it depends really. I'm in absolute love with both aspects of the course, so I can't really decide.

I do think there should be another Visual Arts course offered. If Music kids can get Music 1, Music 2 and an Extension to choose from - why can't we get something else?

An Extension in the form of self directed study towards a second major work or a major research/theory study would be fantastic for the real art enthusists among. And it would probably also be a chance to weed out the bludging time wasters too.

darksbane

Do Not Tap on Glass
HSC
Actually I'm not really enjoying either at the moment :) I probably prefer the theory though as my BOW is mostly digital and the school doesn't have the equipment I need so I can't really work on it at school which means my prac lessons consist mostly of drawing, writing poetry, occasionally brainstorming, or even more occasionally writing descriptions of the digital art of mine that I have gotten printed for experimental purposes. As such my prac lessons are rather boring :)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
At school I prefer theory.

I find "prac" is too constricting.

Now that I'm a uni I am able to study theory at uni with a proper course with proper directions and tutelage, but I chose not to do prac and as such I am free to do my own thing.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
shuttupkissme said:
I don't know about you, but have you ever thought 'Art should be considered 2 subjects'!! No more bludging in class; Art is as demanding as ever now. So i just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on which you prefer.. theory or practical? With out sounding like a nerd, I SOOO prefer theory!! Practical lessons are the worst because our teacher just hassles and gives us lectures on how we're behind compared to Ravenswood and North Sydney Girls. BLAH! By the way, sharing of concepts is encouraged too :rofl:
My school would beat the crap out of Ravenswood, Pymble and North Sydney Girls. My school gives us ALOT of art theory, 2 case studies this term, extra essays, various michaelangelo questions etc...
However the art theory is structured to make studying simple as we've summarised and reviewed everything :nod:

biggie walls

HSC
I think they are both as good as each other and as such the weightings are split accordingly - 50/50, pretty much - to be a good artist these days you've got to know your theory well...

Trillium

HSC
I love prac. Love it to pieces. There are not enough words to describe just how much i adore it. Most of my frees are spent in the "studio" with the radio and lots of black ink.
Theory... is interesting, but nowadays it's pretty repetitive- just viewing slides of artworks most of us have seen before.
~Trill

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
personally, i liked the theory more than the prac, cos i was the strongest at it in my class at my old school...i just had this 'knack' of finding those principles of art and the elements of art quicker than my other colleagues...and applying them.

pracs ARE good though...aside from the joy of actually creating a work of art, you get to chat to ur friends while you work. :) nice and relaxing, especially in my old hectic high school schedule...

but that high school schedule is no more....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

neway, dont u feel that when your working on ur BOW, you really get into it, mind racing with brilliant ideas...and suddenly the bell rings to signal the end of the period...doesnt that get you annoyed sometimes? and the fact that u are reluctant to leave your work undone...anyone had that experience before?

im_bored

HSC
i prefered theory a lot more, i love how people could all come up with an entirely different perspective of the same one piece of work. i love the layers of meaning that are waiting to be explored. i always found prac to limited at school and a little too regulated

winicat

HSC
art history is the best ... having to do prac for assessment, not so cool. i agree with whoever said the thing about having just theory / just prac / or both kinda thing going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)