Which elective? Evolution vs View of Hardware SMACKDOWN!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Which elective to choose?

• Evolution of languages

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Developers view of Hardware

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
We were asked to choose an elective for SDD. Which is better, evolution of languages or developers view of hardware? Our teacher seems to be leaning to hardware because apparently it invloves less work. She says its more maths based and therefore you dont have to write pages of answers in exams. What did you guys do and are there any recommendations?
thanks

del

HSC
N/A
i did evolution of programming langs...

we had a choice but we chose the evolution one, as our class had varying degrees of mathematical skills ranging from extension 2 to general.

the evolution topic is pretty good, if your teacher lets you play with different languages.

Rahul

Dead Member
we dont get to choose.
we r doing hardware....no q's asked.

i am pretty confident wid binary and conversions.....wat else is in the course?

Jinglebell

HSC
evolution all the way. It's basically theory, and a lot of it was covered in yr 9-10 at my school. plus, you can always just crap on if you don't remember stuff, as opposed to calculations which you can't really fudge.

that's just my not-so-mathematical opinion...

del

HSC
N/A
certainly agree there!

i remember i had around 20 min left in the exam and i still had the option left....... in the end i just wrote down anything which popped into my mind which somehow related to the question.... and it worked

tieki

Hardware is fun...but binary/decimal/hex/one's complement/two's complement are not too easy...lol

Logic circuits are fun, though...

:)

lbft

Geek
HSC
I'm going to be doing hardware, as that is the topic my teacher knows best.

I would've liked to have done evolution but I also like the way hardware has more definite answers. I also *shock horror* don't mind the maths part, but I wouldn't dislike the English-type nature of the evolution topic.

Either way, I think they're about both equal in difficulty if you are equally divided between maths and English. If you're a maths/science person, then go for hardware; if you're a English/history/etc person then go for evolution.

Having said that, I haven't done it yet so I could be talking through my hat :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I don't like anything that's subjective and which will give the marker an oppurtunity to judge based on how well you write, not just your content. Because that can still happen...
I find the whole "there's only one right answer" thing more safe, for the lack of a better word.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
my spastic teacher says that we will do both so that in the exam u can chose the easier of the two questions... (which means twice the work for us:mad: ) but then again she knows nothing about sdd anyway (she gave us a website as our major)

ErgoSum

HSC
An opinion

Heya ..
Im doing Software Engineering at Usyd, and i did the hardware topic last year and i have to say that if you are planning on doing any sort of electrical engineering degree (telecom, elec, computer, software or ecommerce) that the benefit of learning some basic boolean algebra and binary maths far, far outways the benefits of having the heads up on Object Orientated programming.

One of my subjects is Elec1101 Introduction to digital systems, and the majority of the work is just more advanced and complicated (but fun!!!) methods of designing logic gate circuits. So getting a jump on boolean algebra(again , very very simple) is probably quite beneficial plus as someone posted above things like 2's compliment is kinda difficult the first time you look at it, but its really easy after you get used to it.

On the other hand, if you are just planning on doing straight computer science, well.. its still hard to recommend Evolution(even though i havent done it, but i have looked through it) unless you really have no clue what Object Orientated programming is about. (something about which the basics can be learned in a week). I guess if english is your passion, and you like a topic which you can waffle on about, then Evolution would be for you. If you are more mathamatical by nature.. well then Hardware is definatelty a good choice(im about 50/50 maths to english, got 46/50 for 3u and 94 for 2u and 88,46/50,45/50 for 2,3,4u english respectively).

And.. yeah thats about it, OTOH aparently the question for Hardware last year was a lot harder than the one for evolution, but id imagine they were marked differently ...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Yeah we are doing Evolution...

It's apperntly a "wordier" topic than Hardware so i guess if u like that sort of stuff over maths then i would do evo...

Its interesting...

Im glad i do it cause i learn all the hardware stuff (binary, hex, packets en shit) in Cisco...

But i guess its better than doing two ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)