Which engineering degree should I choose? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm trying to choose between Mechanical, Aeronautical, Civil and Chemical engineering.

I did both chemistry and physics in HSC and I enjoyed both. I'm not really into things related to electricity, but am really interested in maths.

I have an ATAR to get into any of these, and can't decide on which one to do at the moment??

I was going to choose flexible first year, but it really complicated everything for the first year/gave me less elective chocies and felt disorganised, so I'd rather immeditaely get into a particular branch. Which do you guys recommend/How can I make my mind??

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Enjoying HSC chemistry and physics doesn't really help much - liking chemistry in HSC would probably mean that you'll like first year chemistry (since it's not an extreme step up) but the same can't be said for physics. Really though, only you can answer the question you have asked. I recommend looking at what each engineering degree encompasses and make a move based on that.

HSC
Thanks. I did a fair bit of research on every field, but still couldn't come to a strong conclusion. I'm leaning towards civil though.

I've noticed that this is a core unit of the civil stream:

ENGG1800: Introduction to Engineering Disciplines http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-unit-page/alpha/ENGG1800

Does this give you information on ALL the engineering types no matter what you choose, and give you a bit of experience in all? Or does it just give you information about the stream you're already in e.g. if you're in civil it only gives you info about civil.

tashe

HSC
N/A
ENGG1800: Introduction to Engineering Disciplines http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-unit-page/alpha/ENGG1800

Does this give you information on ALL the engineering types no matter what you choose, and give you a bit of experience in all? Or does it just give you information about the stream you're already in e.g. if you're in civil it only gives you info about civil.
That is correct.

If you click on the "Handbook tab", it says

the unit aims to develop the students’ professional identity as an engineer and thus provide a suitable basis on which students can choose their discipline for further study.
So yes, each 4 weeks you would learn about a different discipline of engineering -
1. Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering
2. Civil Engineering
3. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

HSC
Awesome! Thanks guys! Since I'm leaning towards civil but don't wnt to do flexi I think that's perfect!

So it would give me the proper experience in all those fields (which are surprisingly the only ones i considered) so I could make a confident decision at the end????

tashe

HSC
N/A
Awesome! Thanks guys! Since I'm leaning towards civil but don't wnt to do flexi I think that's perfect!

So it would give me the proper experience in all those fields (which are surprisingly the only ones i considered) so I could make a confident decision at the end????
Reading the Overview in the Handbook tab (in the link you provided) doesn't sound like it's "proper experience". However, it does sound like by the end of the subject, you will know what you want to be studying. I think you would also be leaning towards civil engineering by the end of the semester as well because of:

Each student will be involved in the erection and dismantling of an 8 metre high steel and timber tower in the Civil Engineering Courtyard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)