Which engineering? (1 Viewer)

killua_3

HSC
Eng/Comm at UNSW is one of my top preferences. Can you guys give me some info about the engineering degree? I'm interested in civil and photo at the moment. Might do bio med. I'm mostly interested in the jobs you can get and the ease of finding a job etc. A few words on the course it self is also appreciated. TY

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Eng/Comm at UNSW is one of my top preferences. Can you guys give me some info about the engineering degree? I'm interested in civil and photo at the moment. Might do bio med. I'm mostly interested in the jobs you can get and the ease of finding a job etc. A few words on the course it self is also appreciated. TY
That is a very broad question.
You need to be more specific.

You might be interested in Electrical which has very good prospects but just make sure you keep your mathematics up to scratch as it is one of the more mathematically demanding compared to civil.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
You're interested in civil and photovoltaic, but might do biomedical engineering? lol!

Anyways, as a single degree, first year is the same throughout almost all (if not all) engineering discliplines. First semester involves math, physics, computing, and engineering design. Second semester involves math, mechanics (the mech version is 1/2 statics and 1/2 dynamics, the civil version is 3/4 statics and 1/4 dynamics), materials and/or chem, engineering design 2 or some other elective.

Second year you start to differ a bit.
There's more math.
Mech/aero/mtrn/naval/manufac engineers do subjects like mechanics of solids, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics.
Civil/environmental do subjects like soil mechanics (i think?), water mechanics.
Electrical engineers do electrical subjects and maybe some more physics subjects.

Third year and onwards you get into the core subjects of your degree (eg mechanical systems, robotics, aero, naval courses, etc)

As a double degree you would do the same subjects, but you would do commerce subjects too.

killua_3

HSC
Yeah, i just realised that the question was a bit vague. I think what i'm after here is mainly employment opportunities. What kind of job I can get, how easy it is to get it, how many big companies in Australia there are for the particular field (I know that bio med doesn't have too many. They are mainly concentrated in USA I heard)

I've heard that electrical is really hard as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)