Which is best? (1 Viewer)

Weeping Brook

HSC
If I want to do Finance for the investment/venture capital aspect, which is best:

BComm Major in Finance, B Finance, or B Actuarial?

I like BComm because it's not as difficult & is more flexible, but if the other 2 degrees will get me a better job then of course that changes. Strictly in "future economic benefit" terms, which one is best?

Thanks.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
^that doesnt show anything ...it only shows for BComm

ive actually got the same query
im going to tlk to the careers guy

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I've actually talked to Michael Martin (actuary co-ordinator) himself about this. There's no difference in job prospects between a Finance major in BComm and BFin...however differences in entrance scores and the fact that BFin is called 'BFin' suggests a more specialized program of study and offer a bit more cachet.

Doing actuary can lead you down the same path as BFin/BComm(fin major). In fact if you pursue quantitative finance major in BFin the only diff between it and BActuary is one course(?): actuary techniques.

Weeping Brook

HSC
I'd prefer more flexibility in a degree, so I'm leaning towards a BComm major in Finance, but if ANU's BComm degree isn't all that "prestigious" then that leads to a whole new question: if ANU is the right Uni for me to pursue. Although the BFinance with major in "Corporate Finance and Investment Management" does look pretty appealing. Still I wouldn't like to entirely forego my mgmt ambitions.

Why are there no "minor" degrees in Australia? It seems like it's single degree or combined.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
What gave you the idea ANU's BComm isn't prestigious? People with BComm from ANU get into investment banks. If your judging purely by UAI then the candidature may not be the highest quality but the degree itself is well respected and recognised internationally.

Weeping Brook

HSC
Nah mate, just from what ANU itself said about its BComm degree vs. its BEcon degree:

BComm - "The Bachelor of Commerce degree is designed to cover a broad
range of professional topics relevant to a career in business."
BEcon - "The Economics degree at the ANU is widely regarded as one
of the best in Australia and its graduates are in demand from
government and business employers."

See the difference? For a prospective student like me seeing the two blurbs juxtaposed gives me the impression that they almost want me to do the BEcon. Which I wouldn't if my life depended on it. But for other [financial] reasons I think ANU is the best Uni for me, so hopefully your reassurance proves true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)