which is better 10 or 12units (1 Viewer)

memorable44

HSC
I was just thinking is it better to do 10units or 12 units
cos most people say 12 units is more safe then 10, but then sum people say that wen u do 10units u can concentrate on em.
But if your like a lazy person who dont wanna do as much work should u pick 10 or 12 units?

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
well if your like a lazy person who dont wanna do as much work... then u should pick 10 units... and that way u can also focus better on those units.

doing an extra 2 units will kinda mean more work (assignments, assesments, homework etc) depending on what those extra 2 units are.

:)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Too broad of a question. When you post a question like that, you're likely to be bombarded with biased opinions. List your subjects, the subjects you want to drop or pick up and how well you do in each.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Ahh the great units debate!

Personally I think the best amount too do may be 11 ( Reap some of the benefits from having 10, and some from having 12)

But in general it depends on the person whether to do 10 or 12 but here are some points to consider when making the choice:

· Do i stress out a lot? Could I handle the “pressure” of only doing 10 units, or would I prefer to do extra tests, and study to be “Safer”
· 10 units will give you a reduced workload, 12 units will give you a 2nd chance so if you stuff up you can just keep going rather than getting majorly stressed. So easiness vs security
· With 10 you will have more time to focus on each subject. Be honest with yourself, will you actually use the extra time? Likewise maybe it would be good to do 10 units and use extra time to relax or whatever
2 last things I would like to add!

· Although many people do 10 units on the pretence that they will have more time to study and wont stuff up, consider the effects if you get an exam question you don’t know ( and it mightn’t be due to lack of study, it could be because no one is perfect all the time and sometimes they word question differently or you get stumped etc) This thought arose during the preliminary exams for me where there was a question I couldn’t answer, even though I studied my arse off. It turns out I knew the answer ( it was something fairly basic) but I just didn’t understand it the way they asked it. Definite disadvantage of only doing 10 units.

· It may be a good idea to start year 12 with 12 units and then drop the subject you are doing worst at after the 1st assessment task (there may be considerable difference between the prelim/ hsc course for subs, you may surprise yourself, or realise you don’t wish to drop)

Whether to do 10/12 units is a question that has been asked by lots and there will never be a right or wrong answer. They both have advantages/ disadvantages that you an probably see from the other posts.. anyways think wisely before you make your choice. >J

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Too broad of a question. When you post a question like that, you're likely to be bombarded with biased opinions. List your subjects, the subjects you want to drop or pick up and how well you do in each.

maybe broad may be best. This way the thread could help all people wondering whether to do 10/12 units rather than just an individual

But yes, doing it this way does leave it open to considerable biased opinions. But i guess it is up to the reader how they interprate/ take on peoples opinion.

I tried to be unbiased with what i wrote above ( excluding the comment about 11 units)

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
* also my friend got a thing from her school from teachers, adressing the issue of whether it is best to do 10 units or 12 units, i can try dig it up later and post it up ...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It is all up to you, if you feel confident that all you need is 10 units and doing an extra 2 will be useless then perhaps you should go with 10, if you are not so confident with just having 10 units then perhaps 11 or 12 may be a better choice. In the end it is up to you to do the best with whatever you have

Kulazzi

HSC
i think it also depends on the amt of work you have. If I keep on with 12Us, then I woild have to do THREE major works, which I know I cannot handle. So even tho i'd like to keep a subject as a backup, I can't b/c of the amt of work I'll get, so I decided it'd be better to concentrate on the other two majors and use the free period (in the subject i have dropped) for study, major work time etc. etc.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
-blueblue- said:
· It may be a good idea to start year 12 with 12 units and then drop the subject you are doing worst at after the 1st assessment task (there may be considerable difference between the prelim/ hsc course for subs, you may surprise yourself, or realise you don’t wish to drop)
That is essentially the advice I would give, having done 13 units. I never was sure what I wanted to focus on or what to drop, and I ended up doing 13 the whole way through, but I had the option of dropping if it got too much. You won't know if you don't try, right?
That said, three major works is probably a bit much to ask of anyone's organisational skills, but it's all relative. Good luck!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i say do 12

yeah post the subjects, i will probably still say 12 though

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I was gonna do 11 but I'm glad I didn't because my rank in physics dropped from 8th to 17th, do 12 just to be safe unless you know for sure that you suck at something, then after half yearlies decide which ten are going to count and focus on those.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I've been unsure whether I should pick up another extension unit to make 12. It would be ext. 2 maths which, though tempting, would be such an undertaking time-wise that the blow my other subjects would take would likely cancel out any benefits.

astro

HSC
personally, i think 12 units would be a safer option as if you totally bomb for one subject, you still have the other ten units to fall back on. Of course, it would take much organisation and motivation.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
12 units is safer but if you're 100% confident in 10u, then 10u would definately be the better option.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
another advantage of 12 units is that even though you think one course wont count ( namely the one you are doing worst in) it might actually because of scaling. so you acn have the 10 units that do best ..saying that i am probably only going to do 11

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
hmm...

iambored said:
i say do 12

yeah post the subjects, i will probably still say 12 though
hmm I'm doing 14 at school and 1 extra outside.
Someone here please gimme advice?!?!
my subjects are:

1U SOR
Advanced English
3U Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Geography
Visual Art
+1U Visual Art extension at National Art School (non-uai)

*sighs* what can I do now?
:(

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
^^^ keep them all if you are coping or drop 1/3/3/4 ( lol or even 5) units that you aretn doing as well in

Pointy Ears

HSC
Originally, I was tempted to do just 10 units, but decided I would rather be safe than sorry have recently decided to do 12.
It really depends on what subjects you are doing- they are all hard but there are definitely those that require more time to study and understand than others, e.g ext maths 2 and those that require major works.
Therefore, it would depend on what subjects you are doing and the amount of time that would be needed for the particular subjects.
I'm going to do:
2u adv maths
adv eng
ext 1 eng
ext 2 eng
Ancient history
Chem
Bio

If I understand correctly, the english subjects are those that I generally don't need to study as much as the others. Chem is still an annoyance to me, however.

Errr...do you guys reckon I am doing the right thing?
Suddenly, my confidence has been shaken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)