• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is better? (1 Viewer)

swathard

HSC
Hi everyone!

Just wondering which of the following is better/more advantageous?

(A) A big gap between marks, especially between first and second for example.

(B) A small gap between marks, especially between first and second for example.

And why is it the case?

Thanks! :)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Will need more details but generally small gap between marks is the best.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Isn't it obvious? It means that you have a larger buffer for screwing up.

jet

Banned
HSC
+ if that subject scales up, you will be bumped up further than if there were a smaller gap.

swathard

HSC
yes, but in terms of going into the HSC with a larger/smaller gap, WHY would it be more beneficial to go in with the larger/smaller gap?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're 1st, you want a larger gap because it maximises your HSC mark - if you're 2nd, you want a smaller gap on the off-chance you beat the 1st placed person in the exam and grab his/her assessment mark.

swathard

HSC
If you're 1st, you want a larger gap because it maximises your HSC mark - if you're 2nd, you want a smaller gap on the off-chance you beat the 1st placed person in the exam and grab his/her assessment mark.
ohhh ok, thanks. :)

thanks jetblack and mushi and everyone else too! :)

Crazed nut

HSC
Hold on. I'm confused. I thought that if you were first you got the top exam mark even if second place beats you?

jet

Banned
HSC
Hold on. I'm confused. I thought that if you were first you got the top exam mark even if second place beats you?
Top exam mark as your assessment mark. Exam marks are kept with the student who earned that mark.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Your HSC mark that you receive officially is the combination of two marks: External mark and the moderated internal mark

The mark you were referring to as, "I thought that if you were first you got the top exam mark even if second place beats you?" is the moderated assessment mark. This is based on ranks and gaps between them. This mark is how you say it - if you're ranked first internally but on the exam someone else beats you, you will get this person's exam mark as your moderated assessment mark.

You will keep your own exam mark, score which you get /100 determined by your mark on the paper after aligning. This is irrespective of ranks and is your own work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)