• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
HSC
Re: Which university is the best to study Commerce?

shells15 said:
Which university is the best to study Commerce at the undergraduate level in Australia?
tafe

BackCountrySnow

HSC

What factors would you take into account when you say 'best'?

wendus

krawr.
HSC

ew. how about unsw? idk.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

shells15 said:
Which university is the best to study Commerce at the undergraduate level in Australia?
Monash. True global recognition, at least in Australia. Stuff like Melbourne and Sydney are just old school. No one recognises them in Singapore.

UTS is another really good one. My pick would be Monash, UTS and Macquarie. Latrobe a close 4th

DexJnr

HSC
N/A

In NSW, I'd say UNSW

zeam

HSC
N/A

UTS was voted the best for business or something along those lines...btw i am doing business at UTS this year

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad

im pretty sure unsw was rated the best business school

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

zeam said:
UTS was voted the best for business or something along those lines...btw i am doing business at UTS this year
yea like i said
UTS is easily top two universities in australia for commerce

shells15

HSC
N/A

Omnidragon said:
Monash. True global recognition, at least in Australia. Stuff like Melbourne and Sydney are just old school. No one recognises them in Singapore.

UTS is another really good one. My pick would be Monash, UTS and Macquarie. Latrobe a close 4th
Monash would be better than even UNSW? Most of the people I asked(other than those on this forum) were of the opinion that UNSW is the best for commerce.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A

Omnidragon said:

Sorry, but what info are you basing your statements on? As far as I know and I could be wrong, "true global recognition" goes to universities like ANU, UMELB, USYD and followed closely by UNSW. I suppose it really depends on, which ranking system you go by since some will place universities higher or lower. I believe there is a big difference between the Times ranking of UNSW as opposed to the Jiao Tong rankings.

Also, I would hardly say the "old school" universities aren't recognised in Asia. I know from friends in Singapore that UNSW does standardised testing for them, so plenty of people know them (hopefully not for their feeble UNSW Asia attempt).

Out of the universities you have listed, the only one that seems to be particularly reputable would be Monash. I'd be interested to see how "globally recognised" a Latrobe degree would be.

However, to be completely honest the Australian Tertiary system seems fairly crap and we wouldn't really be recognised globally anywhere in terms of a whole university. I think the key is looking at specific schools within a faculty, because some schools actually do have huge recognition.

----

Anyway, as for the best place to study Commerce, well I'm biased but I'll say UNSW. There was a government report released in I think 2006 or 2007 (though it might be dated now), that basically placed UNSW as the top University for Business & Law in Australia. Also, depending on your major the UNSW School of Accounting ranks as one of the highest in the world...

"The outstanding quality of our accounting research has been recognised internationally by the journal Accounting and Finance, which ranked UNSW's accounting research first in the world for the period 1998-2005. The Accounting and Finance research considers publications in the top 24 international accounting journals." - email from the Dean.

In the end it depends on what you are looking for, obviously the location to you personally would be significant factor in itself.

*Edit: http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/articles/2006/dec/LTP_fund.html
and http://www2.agsm.edu.au/agsm/web.nsf/Content/News-MediaReleases-bestbusinessandresearch

Last edited:

ippie

HSC

billbro said:
However, to be completely honest the Australian Tertiary system seems fairly crap and we wouldn't really be recognised globally anywhere in terms of a whole university.
i totally agree with this. And one more thing - it doesn't matter where you go. You can go to UNSW or whereever, but does that make you a good economist? (lol idk the noun for commerce person)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

billbro said:
Sorry, but what info are you basing your statements on?
Nothing. I just said it so I could join the general tall poppy syndrome polulace in attacking elitists like yourself. Totally agree with your first paragraph.

Edit: To be honest, the biggest problem with our unis is when they try to do stupid schemes to rip international students off. It really really kills their reputation. There was an incident with a UNSW Malaysia campus a while back. Last week some scandal about some Melb Uni funded foundation studies centre.

Last edited:

billbro

HSC
N/A

Omnidragon said:
Nothing. I just said it so I could join the general tall poppy syndrome polulace in attacking elitists like yourself. Totally agree with your first paragraph.

Edit: To be honest, the biggest problem with our unis is when they try to do stupid schemes to rip international students off. It really really kills their reputation. There was an incident with a UNSW Malaysia campus a while back. Last week some scandal about some Melb Uni funded foundation studies centre.
How exactly am I being an elitist? I provided what I think is a fairly objective view of the matter and I have in no way shape or form implied I am better than someone else.

I doubt there are many universities that wouldn't capitalise on charging lucrative fees on overseas students. I really don't see how that was anything to do with killing out reputation, especially looking at the constantly influx over here. Personally, I think there are more fundamental problems with our education system... along the lines of funding, the selection process, etc - but that moves a bit too far off topic.

Like what BackCountrySnow said and what I reiterated, the 'best' university for Commerce really depends on what the individual is seeking. Of course I offered my own view on the matter and I certainly question where you make your claims from.

modulus

unsw commerce faculty is now called the australian school of business
considering that all australian unis suck in terms of global recognition, id say at least this one sounds good!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

You need a context in order to ask this question. Are you talking about university experience/reputation/industry links?

In short, pick a Go8, get good marks and get a decent job. No-one cares after that. They will see 'x' firm thought you were good enough to work at 'x' firm and thus make their judgement from that.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

billbro said:
Like what BackCountrySnow said and what I reiterated, the 'best' university for Commerce really depends on what the individual is seeking. Of course I offered my own view on the matter and I certainly question where you make your claims from.
My joke obviously got lost on you. Duh Melb/Syd/UNSW are the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)