Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
majors

The best uni for bus/eco/commerce also depends on the major and what fields you can enter with that major thats why economics graduates don't have as many opportunities as commerce graduates

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
What university you choose doesn't reaaly matter, it's about your own personal choices and how hard you work to earn that degree:)

chait

Re: majors

Originally posted by lappang
The best uni for bus/eco/commerce also depends on the major and what fields you can enter with that major thats why economics graduates don't have as many opportunities as commerce graduates
Economics is the study of the laws of human action and interaction. This makes economics the very root of business decisions, government policy, and global relations. A degree in economics can prepare you for a broad array of careers: journalism, city planning, banking, finance and many others. Furthermore, an economics degree serves as excellent preparation for a Law degree or an MBA. An economist is an intellecual generalist pragmatist. This may be why economics is the most popular major at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Penn, and Chicago and second at Yale, Berkeley, Cornell and Dartmouth (Wall Street Journal 11/30/98).

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by chait
i really dislike the lack of independent resources available to students to help them make their decisions. the only source i know of is good guides, and from what Porphyria_J pointed out, even that doesnt appear to be of a decent quality.
too bad there arent any league tables, itd be easier to draw comparisons if we had them. too many people believe that since unsw and usyd have high uais that theyre the best unis. if oz unis were ranked in the same way as their US counterparts, peoples opinions would be very different.
Ou of curiosity HOW do they rank universities in the US???

chait

Originally posted by zannaz

Ou of curiosity HOW do they rank universities in the US???
In the US, unis are ranked by research. Research contributes a large part of a uni's reputation.

Last edited:

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Re: Re: majors

Economics is the study of the laws of human action and interaction. This makes economics the very root of business decisions, government policy, and global relations. A degree in economics can prepare you for a broad array of careers: journalism, city planning, banking, finance and many others. Furthermore, an economics degree serves as excellent preparation for a Law degree or an MBA. An economist is an intellecual generalist pragmatist. This may be why economics is the most popular major at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Penn, and Chicago and second at Yale, Berkeley, Cornell and Dartmouth (Wall Street Journal 11/30/98).
I should have pharsed myself clearly........i still believe that with an eco. degree you have better opportunities in the states than in Aus. say compared to a commerce degree with a major in finance.

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Re: Re: majors

Behave urself!!!!!!!!
I really should of said flexibility and not opportunities in Australia commerce with a major in finance appears to be more flexible than economics but i'll prob. be proved wrong:mad1: !!!!!:chainsaw: :argue:

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
sorry.......... the beahve urself thing was not ment to appear it was an entry that was typing into my friends guestbook and i used copy and past!!!!!! Once again sorry

chait

Originally posted by lappang
sorry.......... the beahve urself thing was not ment to appear it was an entry that was typing into my friends guestbook and i used copy and past!!!!!! Once again sorry
well i'm doing combined commerce(finance)/economics(int'l biz) anyway :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

well i'm doing combined commerce(finance)/economics(int'l biz) anyway :)
which Uni is that? A combined commerce/eco degree would b good if they offered it at the major universities (NSW,syd,maq)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by MinAi

which Uni is that? A combined commerce/eco degree would b good if they offered it at the major universities (NSW,syd,maq)
Lol Minai...you're in for a lecture. She's going to ANU and is quite determined to educate us that it *is* a major university...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, oops
yeah forgot ANU...or actually, I forgot to put major SYDNEY universities...ANU woulda been good if it was in sydney (cos I jus dun wanna move), cos I read the UAC and they have some nice degrees, like the combined eco/comm

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
ANU is with no doubt a graet university in its academic standards and quality education experienced by students. However the distance from Sydney is too far......feel lazy to move all that way!

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
hey is anyone planning on doing honours?
I wanna do honours, if i get credit/distinction average that is....but lately i'm having a change of heart beacuse i want to do a double arts/commerce degree at usyd (5 years) so i don't want to extend my time at uni,,,,i want to get out into the workforce!!!!

timmii

sporadic attendee
hey is anyone planning on doing honours?
I was definitely thinking about it for commerce, but it gets difficult with the comm/law. Also i have a maximum 5yr scholarship, so I don't know how one would go about extending that. For law however, honours is automatically awarded to everyone above a certain academic standard, so if i can be bothered and law isn't as hard as I'm worried it is, i could aim for that maybe?

Chait, are you?

chait

Originally posted by timmii

I was definitely thinking about it for commerce, but it gets difficult with the comm/law. Also i have a maximum 5yr scholarship, so I don't know how one would go about extending that. For law however, honours is automatically awarded to everyone above a certain academic standard, so if i can be bothered and law isn't as hard as I'm worried it is, i could aim for that maybe?

Chait, are you?
Yes, I'm definitely considering it. I still have to check up on how honours w/ com/eco works. Honours will stretch the degree to 5 yrs. Is it a HD or credit avg that is required at most unis???:confused:

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee

Yes, I'm definitely considering it. I still have to check up on how honours w/ com/eco works. Honours will stretch the degree to 5 yrs. Is it a HD or credit avg that is required at most unis???:confused:
I doubt its a HD average...

chait

Originally posted by timmii

I doubt its a HD average...
ok good :) I've heard people going on about just passing exams...

Last edited:

jessika

law chicky
HSC
timmii what sorta scholarship did you get for law and at which uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)