Which laptop should i buy? (1 Viewer)

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 (non-retina). I use it as both a laptop and desktop - I plug it in to my big fancy monitor at home.

The latest Macbook Air's are also pretty impressive, but remember Apple has made the latest round up of products notoriously bad for customizing. If you don't care about that then it's all good, but I like to fiddle around with my laptop to make it better - my latest change involved swapping out the CD drive with an SSD. I now load into OSX in about 7 seconds from pressing the power button. I'm currently contemplating upgrading the 8GB RAM to 16GB.

If none of that made any sense to you, then you will probably be fine with the latest MBA or MBP.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
I woulldnt mind mba but im worried about the storage. I know I will use way pver 128gb from music and photos and programs etc. How much does it cost to expand it and is it possible to expand if u purchase it from like jb hifi? Also thw batery I heard expands?? How much would this cost to replace and fix?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Dota is not light gaming..... that said, I picked up a Dell Inspiron 15r special edition 2 years ago and its still blazing fast for all my entertainment needs. You can ask me for specs later. Generally avoid HP, asus is ok but build quality is sometimes questionable, toshiba is sturdy, but the parts they use are questionable as well as the price. Dell is quite good, except for the support.
I thought Dells were unreliable. But that impression was probably gained through my school's Dell laptops. Also Dell's don't tend to win many fashion shows.

Whilst Lenovo...um yea. Don't touch that crap.

Sony's build quality is quite good and seems reliable, but cost.

Nowadays when it comes to ultrabooks, Asus is the market leader.

ps. Dota is light gaming compared to other games.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I woulldnt mind mba but im worried about the storage. I know I will use way pver 128gb from music and photos and programs etc. How much does it cost to expand it and is it possible to expand if u purchase it from like jb hifi? Also thw batery I heard expands?? How much would this cost to replace and fix?
Ok well first up you really don't want to be storing music and photos on an SSD - you should try to only use it for apps and your OS files, stuff that is unlikely to be changed/re-written. You can always buy more space, or use an external drive + cloud-based storage.

If you buy from jb-hifi you can't purchase an upgraded one - the only way to do that is to order through the apple store directly. But you should get an educational discount through apple.

The only real practical way to upgrade with these latest models is to order all your customizations at checkout i.e. you cannot upgrade memory, ram, etc + pretty sure the components are soldered on or some shit. I got the one that I did because I knew I could change stuff without too much hassle. Just a mention though, Apple's customizations are waaaay over-priced, even with discount.

Don't know about the battery issue, don't have that problem. But like I said before, apple is getting really dodgy with this user-customization stuff. I think with the latest models if your battery goes bung you have to take your laptop into apple for them to replace it. And they probably charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
Ok well first up you really don't want to be storing music and photos on an SSD - you should try to only use it for apps and your OS files, stuff that is unlikely to be changed/re-written. You can always buy more space, or use an external drive + cloud-based storage.

If you buy from jb-hifi you can't purchase an upgraded one - the only way to do that is to order through the apple store directly. But you should get an educational discount through apple.

The only real practical way to upgrade with these latest models is to order all your customizations at checkout i.e. you cannot upgrade memory, ram, etc + pretty sure the components are soldered on or some shit. I got the one that I did because I knew I could change stuff without too much hassle. Just a mention though, Apple's customizations are waaaay over-priced, even with discount.

Don't know about the battery issue, don't have that problem. But like I said before, apple is getting really dodgy with this user-customization stuff. I think with the latest models if your battery goes bung you have to take your laptop into apple for them to replace it. And they probably charge you an arm and a leg for it.
So if i have a lot of music and photos then I pretty much have to purchase an external hard drive? Does any hard drive work? (for eg, the external hard drive that i use for my home computer?)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So if i have a lot of music and photos then I pretty much have to purchase an external hard drive? Does any hard drive work? (for eg, the external hard drive that i use for my home computer?)
Yes

turntaker

HSC
I am not really an apple fan but hardware wise macbook air is the best for a student. 10-12 hours of battery plus it will run dota. Its about 1300

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

watch this review I think it will really help in your decision

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)