Which lectures are compulsory to attend in my first semester units? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Yeah i'm back again with problems! =P

I just need people's personal opinions which lectures should I attend on the first semester?

The units i am doing this semester are PSY104, MKGT101, BBA103 and STAT170.

So which ones I have (compulsory) to attend and which ones I can download the lecture, listen to it and doesn't affect if i won't attend? I think i heard MKGT101 ones I have to go because they have in-class tests. I just want to check it because my timetable is annoying me a little bit.

Of course I'll make the decision after few weeks of attending them first.

decypher

HSC
Not at MQ so my advice is general.

Stats tend to have lectures who are boring and as a result you only absorb about 10-20% of the knowledge. If you find that you can teach yourself maths easily then you can avoid them. If you find maths difficult then you should go because it may be helpful to you.

Marketing: 101 is an intro subject so the content is fairly simple. You can avoid the lectures here. The subject outline will state when the in lecture tests are. Simply go those weeks.

In general make sure you go to all the first week and get a feel for which you need to go to and which you can avoid.

HSC
Not at MQ so my advice is general.

Stats tend to have lectures who are boring and as a result you only absorb about 10-20% of the knowledge. If you find that you can teach yourself maths easily then you can avoid them. If you find maths difficult then you should go because it may be helpful to you.

Marketing: 101 is an intro subject so the content is fairly simple. You can avoid the lectures here. The subject outline will state when the in lecture tests are. Simply go those weeks.

In general make sure you go to all the first week and get a feel for which you need to go to and which you can avoid.
oh sweet! Thanks for that. Btw is stat maths hard? I haven't done any statistics since year 10 because I did 2u and 3u maths for hsc.

decypher

HSC
Hard is a really subjective term. Some may find maths easy and writing essays hard. The opposite is true for others.

HSC
Hard is a really subjective term. Some may find maths easy and writing essays hard. The opposite is true for others.
ah yeah true true! i meant is stats like what we learned in year 10 and before and a bit more advanced? Or is it completely new comparing to what we did before?

Tonthat

HSC
you're doing stat170 though. I've been told it's pretty basic.

HSC
you're doing stat170 though. I've been told it's pretty basic.
yeah i heard about that too! But i heard it's pretty annoying with all those annoying online quizzes!

i might as well throw another question in... does anyone know if psych104 and psych105 have any in lecture tests like mkgt101? Yeah i know i am drilling this unit in but like i said try to rearrange my stupid timetable.

kevinant

HSC
You can check if your subjects have ilectures on the Blackboard,
But if they don't have ilectures, try not to skip lectures otherwise you are on your way to drop your GPA.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Anecdotally, students who attend lectures regularly will receive higher marks than students who don't. By even contemplating this decision, you are showing you don't really have the aptitude for university. Just my two cents.

kevinant

HSC
well it's advised that you attend all lectures... lectures are ABSOLUTELY COMPULSORY when you have in-lecture mid-semester tests;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Turning up for lectures saves you having to listen to 13 hours of lectures when you realise you've been putting them off for 13 weeks

X

xeuyrawp

Anecdotally, students who attend lectures regularly will receive higher marks than students who don't. By even contemplating this decision, you are showing you don't really have the aptitude for university. Just my two cents.
100% agree.

williamc

HSC
Yeah i'm back again with problems! =P

I just need people's personal opinions which lectures should I attend on the first semester?

The units i am doing this semester are PSY104, MKGT101, BBA103 and STAT170.

So which ones I have (compulsory) to attend and which ones I can download the lecture, listen to it and doesn't affect if i won't attend? I think i heard MKGT101 ones I have to go because they have in-class tests. I just want to check it because my timetable is annoying me a little bit.

Of course I'll make the decision after few weeks of attending them first.
PSY104: cant comment
MKTG101: didnt go to any lectures got a credit. you pretty much just learn stuff out of a textbook.
BBA103: did econ110 and 111, if you did hsc economics i probably wouldnt go, if you didn't do hsc economic and have no idea what economics is then i would go.
STAT170: def go, esp. after about week 5 where the course heats up.

Hmm this is especially true for maths and stats style subjects. UoW lecturers regularly will take roles and hit students in the next cohort (be that next session or next year) with stats, and (atleast for us) it's a strong correlation between non-attendance, and failure.

I figure that there are some subjects you can miss out on without too much trouble (education is a prime example of this) but I wouldn't be going out and missing them just for the lulz.

this is mainly due to the fact that the better students tend to attend lectures as they are more studious in nature, not because going to lectures will give you better marks.

100% agree.

i agree with that, unless you're doing marketing.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Lol i am doing marketing...

haha.

well i dunno about 300 level mktg but 100 lvl and 200 lvl are the easiest courses in the business and econmics faculty?

mktg101 mktg207 mktg 203 were all dont attend lectures read the textbook a couple nights before easy credits...

Begbie4017

HSC
I did stat170 -whole year..I also went to the numeracy centre lunchtime session with Caroline (excellent for anyone not quite getting it..she puts a different spin on things that really helps)

PSY104- I ilectured a lot of it & only got a pass

Marketing I did at tafe not sure what uni level is like..

It really comes down to what sort of student you are and your aspirations.

If youre a P means degrees person, ilecture.

There are some people that say they dont study & get HDs you might be one of them but Im not.

Speaking for myself ,if I want credits & above then I have to commit to my units.
You are doing Psych as well ,so if you decide to go further in your psych studies you need really good marks to do it.

BTW Have a look at the unit guides for psy104 & 105 for in lecture tests. There werent any when i did it ..sometimes during tutes but not lectures.

HSC
I did stat170 -whole year..I also went to the numeracy centre lunchtime session with Caroline (excellent for anyone not quite getting it..she puts a different spin on things that really helps)

PSY104- I ilectured a lot of it & only got a pass

Marketing I did at tafe not sure what uni level is like..

It really comes down to what sort of student you are and your aspirations.

If youre a P means degrees person, ilecture.

There are some people that say they dont study & get HDs you might be one of them but Im not.

Speaking for myself ,if I want credits & above then I have to commit to my units.
You are doing Psych as well ,so if you decide to go further in your psych studies you need really good marks to do it.

BTW Have a look at the unit guides for psy104 & 105 for in lecture tests. There werent any when i did it ..sometimes during tutes but not lectures.
awesome thanks. Yeah i checked the unit outline today and there are none. One group presentation, one essay, research and exam.

The essay is quite interesting. it's about procrastination.

Begbie4017

HSC
Procrastination ..thats a great topic!!
One of my biggest problems!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)