Which level of English do you do? (1 Viewer)

What English do/did you do in year 11?

• Advanced

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Advanced+Extension

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Standard

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • ESL

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
In year 11 what do/ did you do?
Advanced, extension, standard, esl?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
me?? Advanced and extension.
Extension's way different to advanced, its harder and more boring

J

jhakka

Smart_Dunce said:
me?? Advanced and extension.
'Sif it's harder. There is only one module in the HSC. Easier stuff.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Go Standard....

...actually I loathe english, if we didn't have to do it, I wouldn't

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
[SIZE=-2]advanced english...
-- I hear that with standard, only one person EVER -- throughout the whole of the new hsc, got a band 6...
lol -- so I'd say, it's virtually impossible to get a band six in the hsc for standard eng~.[/SIZE]

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
brilliance** said:
[SIZE=-2]advanced english...
-- I hear that with standard, only one person EVER -- throughout the whole of the new hsc, got a band 6...
lol -- so I'd say, it's virtually impossible to get a band six in the hsc for standard eng~.[/SIZE]
Three, two of them were 04ers.

brilliance**

just a member.
HSC
N/A
[SIZE=-2]well that must explain the "1 person ever" -- heard this last year in my eng adv tutoring class.......
the teacher told us eng standard was pathetic.....[/SIZE]

HSC
N/A
For the people doing Advanced, what did you get in the SC for English? My school had this rule that only people who got bands 5/6, grades A/B could do Advanced English, yet the class is full of people who got band 3s and low 4s.... but my school is all talk most of the time anyway.

So half of my grade is doing Advanced English, which I don't think is right.... considering we're not really a very 'smart' school. If they really want to learn and are willing to put the effort in, then fine.... but I know a lot aren't and I think it's in their best interests that they drop down to Standard, so they're more capable of the work and don't fall behind.

Anyone else have this happening at their school? :confused:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
For the people doing Advanced, what did you get in the SC for English? My school had this rule that only people who got bands 5/6, grades A/B could do Advanced English, yet the class is full of people who got band 3s and low 4s.... but my school is all talk most of the time anyway.

So half of my grade is doing Advanced English, which I don't think is right.... considering we're not really a very 'smart' school. If they really want to learn and are willing to put the effort in, then fine.... but I know a lot aren't and I think it's in their best interests that they drop down to Standard, so they're more capable of the work and don't fall behind.

Anyone else have this happening at their school? :confused:
My school (co-educational + partially selective) had similar rules or prerequisites for entering English Advanced. It's based on getting an almost perfect report. Since almost no one got a report that good (because they mark really tough on you), potential entrants must fill out a questionnaire stating why they are interested in taking Advanced English. There were some appeals and in my opinion the whole process itself was way too over-rated and exaggerated. Plus those who didn't get into Advanced, could be potentially accepted if they do well enough in an Area of Study assessment task.
Note the irony, there are strict rules and selection processes of only the most capable and talented students in English to do Advanced, yet they are giving so many second, third and forth chances to get in and in effect trying to maximise the candidature in English Advanced classes!!!!

Pocket-Sized

HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
I dont find extension harder i just find that the teacher expects more from you. I also dont find it boring .. find it way better than adv.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Extensions hard?

i dont get along together with my extension teacher maybe
i like my advanced teacher a lot more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)