Which level of English do you do? (1 Viewer)

What English do/did you do in year 11?

• Advanced

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Advanced+Extension

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Standard

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • ESL

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
i agree and i think extension and advanced are similar things, just that u study more complicated(sometimes boring) texts in extension

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think doing Extension in year 11 has helped me with my Advanced course for year 12.

I've jumped from rank 45th prelim to rank 1st HSC.

My friends also tell me that HSC EE1 is better than HSC Advanced.

kisschasysunday

HSC
Yeah, i'm adv & ext. Ext is so much better than adv, we move so much faster. I never get sick of it, because as soon as it gets a bit boring, we start something new and challenging. But with adv, its all the same, all the time. I'm starting to just not to do any work, because I know that next class I can just learn last weeks stuff all over again. Hopefully it will get better as the teacher realises she has the top class and we're all quite happy to study at a faster level.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
ext 2 english, same teacher for adv ext 1, 2, small class...she's spread very thin, so we don't get as much individual attention as maybe we should...but she tries and she's very nice, much better than the subbie we had before...*shudder* she's very enthusiastic as well....also our year mentor person, so I get the feeling she cares
ESL = english as a second language

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
systemx said:
Sefton's a shithole. That's all there is to it.
Correct, and you blew your chance to get out. You're stuck! STUCK I say!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
you feel as though you hardly have extension because you study advanced at school twice as much since its 2 unit- thats why extension feels a bit more relaxed

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i did advanced and extension... as much as i hated the topic we were studying in ext (romance genre) i enjoyed it so much more because of the teacher.. i loved my teacher but now..sadly she has moved to nz :( but ive i like ext more than adv definetly. only one genre to study.. soo much easier to get a deeper insight etc

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
I did standard and topped just about everything in my year, so I think I should have done Advanced :)
what made you do standard?

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
Originally Posted by champ_sammy_19
I did standard and topped just about everything in my year, so I think I should have done Advanced
Smart_Dunce said:
what made you do standard?
My teachers thought that my physical disability affecting my writing speed i was better to do standard and top that rather than suffer in advanced

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Murf said:
My school only ran Advanced, they dident let any one do standard until year 12....

murf
u must be in a selective school then
my school's selective, they dont teach yr11 standard

annyshka

HSC
I do advanced and extension, although i wish we just did the extension course because it is so much better than the advanced course. and half the people at my school are in advanced too...very strange in my opinion..

adgala

HSC
i'm doing adv eng because my school only teaches adv for yrs 11 and 12 + i get to do 13 units!

blonde_1728

HSC
I do Advanced. Heaps of ppl said dat i should of done Ext ... but I dnt like Eng at all.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Smart_Dunce said:
me?? Advanced and extension.
Extension's way different to advanced, its harder and more boring

Ohhhhhhh you did not just say that!!!!!! Extension English is heaps different to the mundane analysis of advanced. You get to explore English in a whole new environment and it's less of a "spot the technique" game. There is a creative component which allows you to show your originality, flair and imagination to demonstrate your understanding of the studied module. Ext 2 English (when you get to year 12) is also an option worth looking at because it is completely creative and is entirely independant. It's worth exposing yourself to these two rather complex areas of study if you have a passion for writing and a desire to do something other than analysis. English Extension 2 is my escape, can't talk on behalf of other people tho. Goodluck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)