• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which looks better? (1 Viewer)

Davidovic

HSC
N/A
I'm currently tossing up doing either a:
Bachelor of Arts (International Relations) or a
Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Asian Studies
at ANU.

In the IR degree, i'd be majoring in IR (obviously) and Chinese, with very few free courses. The plus side of this degree is that Honours is offered with it, which brings it up to 4 years.

With Arts/Asian Studies, I would also be majoring in IR and Chinese, except I would also be doing a "Cognitive major" in Asian Security Studies, and a second major in Arts (or i'd do a lot more courses in my IR major, not sure yet). I'm not sure if this degree offers Honours, I think it does, but it is a double degree, which is nice. The downside is that it's 4 years normally, and if it does offer Honours, it'd end up being 5 years, and, if it doesn't offer Honours, then I have a degree without Honours.

My question is, which of these degrees would make me more attractive to employers? Unless my plans change drastically, I'm looking at a career in foreign affairs, hopefully with DFAT, ASIO, DIO, or something like that. (Although I know DFAT is notoriously hard to get in to.) Is the possible lack of Honours in the double degree really a drawback? (Seeing as it is a double degree)

Cheers,
Evan

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Neither if it turns out you didn't like the one that "looks good"

Focus on what you wanna do more.

Looking good is a recipe for disaster
^ :uhhuh:

Davidovic

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Neither if it turns out you didn't like the one that "looks good"

Focus on what you wanna do more.

Looking good is a recipe for disaster
Well, this is essentially why I'm finding the choice so difficult. I've already eliminated the choices that I don't like, and these two are pretty much the same in terms of what I would study. With such similar fields of study, I really can't decide which I would like to do more, I mean the Arts/Asian Studies degree is essentially the IR degree, but more of it (well, as far as I can see, they could be totally different once I get there)

Having said that, I've currently got Arts/Asian Studies first, because it would allow me to experience it for a year, and then if I decide that I only want to do the IR and Chinese majors I can easily switch to the IR degree.

Cheers.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Davidovic said:
Well, this is essentially why I'm finding the choice so difficult. I've already eliminated the choices that I don't like, and these two are pretty much the same in terms of what I would study. With such similar fields of study, I really can't decide which I would like to do more, I mean the Arts/Asian Studies degree is essentially the IR degree, but more of it (well, as far as I can see, they could be totally different once I get there)

Having said that, I've currently got Arts/Asian Studies first, because it would allow me to experience it for a year, and then if I decide that I only want to do the IR and Chinese majors I can easily switch to the IR degree.

Cheers.
Have you looked at the actual course content and the subjects that are compulsory for each degree? There are wys of finding these things out; I've known people who do International Studies at my university, but didn't know the subject content and found out they were doing sociology, whih they hated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)