Which Major? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi,
I am considering doing Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering combined with a Commerce degree and was wondering what was the best major that would compliment the Engineering degree. I was thinking maybe a major in management?

ameher

HSC
Management is okay. It would allow for career in project management, id assume thats what your trying to go into? however i always thought that management is something you learn, rather than being taught as a major. What are your other interests in business? Finance or Economics are useful majors also, particularly economics with engineering, however others can provide more information on the engineering aspect.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would rather do Economics, the benefits of it are unique, makes you learn how the world goes around, also teaches you some management with money.

jeffreyf

HSC
Hi,
I am considering doing Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering combined with a Commerce degree and was wondering what was the best major that would compliment the Engineering degree. I was thinking maybe a major in management?
It really depends about your future career goals. I'm assuming you want to work in the engineering field, in that case management or economics could come in handy for general knowledge but an employer is not going to be really fussed.

I would recommend just looking up the major descriptions and picking something you like, you'll probably go better in something you like than something your taking for the sake of having a complimentary major.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Assuming you'd want the engineering degree as the 'primary' degree, and the other as something of a bonus, I'd go with something you'd enjoy studying.

I wouldn't go for management though, as you don't tend to see uni graduates of a 'management/hr' degree gaining entry into manager positions.. they just seem to start in payroll and have to work their way up, just like in any other degree.

Economics is very interesting. If it were me I'd either do that or marketing.

If you wanted something that'd help you, i'd also do accounting as then you'd be more inclined to be selected for project manager roles, and so forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)