Which Maths Study Guide? (1 Viewer)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I was wondering whether or not you guys could give me any recommendations to a good math study guide(2,3 unit)? I've sorta narrowed it down into either the Excel series or the Understanding Maths, the Excel ones are alot more fatter but UM has pages specifically going through the topics? I have a couple of UM books, but haven't really tried the Excel.
Which one would you choose and why? Other brand recommendations would be really helpful too.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I might get both, as the two are both helpful. The UM explains it alright, but it has pretty easy examples. Excel is also alright, but I didnt like it that much ;)

Might try looking for other textbooks in Borders, Dymocks, Angus etc. Cambridge, Fitzpatrick or Mtahs in Focus are deemed to be great books for learning and questions. I personally didnt like how Fitzpatrick explained its examples.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
There's heaps of threads on this. Just look around in the maths forums. :)

Excels are good for when you get stuck as they have fully worked solutions. I've never heard of UM though.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
tamaranadine said:
I have heard people say that buying a year 11 maths study guide is a bad idea, as the preliminary course is examined in the HSC. Therefore buying the HSC version would be more sensible. Should I follow this advise? What do you think?
You will need to know the preliminary well to be able to do well in the HSC as the HSC is built upon the knowledge of the prelim course. Also the HSC guides don't focus on the prelim, which you will need the skills from.

I do recommend buying a yr 11 guide but see what your school has and you may not need to.

There may be some prelim and HSC in-one course books but I wouldn't know. :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, many textbooks are separated individually into the Prelim and HSC Course (cept for Fitzpatrick).

redom

HSC
UM is rather easy, but it does provide a really good summary of the basic facts. The Excel books, theres quite a few, the step by step guide, the normal excel one and the 50 tips books are all preety good. The more you have and the more you do, the better prepared you'll be. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)