• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

which notebook rand is the best (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
I wanted to get an Apple iBook or Powerbook, but they're not good for word processing, i.e. the words are .... 'smudgy'. Apparently it's great for photo or video editings and stuff like that. I ended up buying a Sony, which I think is still great.
I never heard they were bad for word processing!! I'll have to investigate this further.... i know that Office for Mac performs alright, but never knew about the smudgy letters.

Toshiba and apple all the way!

HSC
Korn said:
im talking about specs, here, like Processor speed and power, storage space, etc
dude, due to the architecture of apple chipsets, the speed in ghz cannot be directly related to pc's.
it just doesnt work that way at all.
apple have plenty of processing power, which is why they're always used for high end, system intensive aplications and perposes like rendering, video editing and sound processing/editing.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
dude, due to the architecture of apple chipsets, the speed in ghz cannot be directly related to pc's.
apple have plenty of processing power, which is why they're always used for high end, system intensive aplications and perposes like rendering, video editing and sound processing/editing.
Yeah, i know that they are used in Graphic design, but it amazes me that Apple dont choose to use the same format of ghz as PC's, cause the average man on the street might get confused cause, say a PC has 3.2GHz and a Mac has 2.4Ghz, they would assume that the PC is better

blackbunny

HSC
i HATE APPLE AND THEIR MAC OS. I WANT THEM TO GO BANKRUPT SO THEY WILL NOT RELEASE ANOTHER OS EVER AGAIN

sladehk

le random
HSC
Having barely ever touched an Apple, it is a very strange sensation when working with Macs again :(

wanton-wonton

HSC
JimmyK said:
I never heard they were bad for word processing!! I'll have to investigate this further.... i know that Office for Mac performs alright, but never knew about the smudgy letters.

Toshiba and apple all the way!
My dad went to the Apple stores and he was testing out word processing stuff, and all the words and letters were ... uneven. It's like some letters were bolded and some were fine.

Finding this hard to believe, he went again another day, on another iBook and the same thing happened, so yes, we didn't buy it since the main purpose for a notebook is word processing and stuff like that.

JimmyK

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
My dad went to the Apple stores and he was testing out word processing stuff, and all the words and letters were ... uneven. It's like some letters were bolded and some were fine.

Finding this hard to believe, he went again another day, on another iBook and the same thing happened, so yes, we didn't buy it since the main purpose for a notebook is word processing and stuff like that.

I'll let you know if this occours on my new powerbook - but I wont be using it much for word processing, so it wont affect me too much. I'm mainly getting mine for video and music editing and creating.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Oh rubbish.

------
No one company is really above the take, so u never know. But i wouldnt just say that they take bribes

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
yeah...and they always live to the promise to freeze all the time. I know this from school. and they had all the latest apples. besides....apple is not very user friendly...It's boring to use. I'm not saying that because I'm a PC fan. I've tried to like apple...but hate them.

Nguyen

Laptop LCD screens like to run on their native resolution if not everything will look arse.

JimmyK

HSC
LoneShadow said:
yeah...and they always live to the promise to freeze all the time. I know this from school. and they had all the latest apples. besides....apple is not very user friendly...It's boring to use. I'm not saying that because I'm a PC fan. I've tried to like apple...but hate them.

Whats so 'exciting' about a windows machine??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)