Which one would be better out of these two work exp, to land a grad job??? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I was wondering which one of these two work experience would be more valuable in landing a grad job at the big 4 (KPMG,EY,PWC,Deloitte) or big 4 bank (ANZ,comm,NAB,Westpac).

*NOTE: this is considering the applicant already has a main summer vacation internship at big 4.

A) – 2.5 years part time unrelevant work experience in high quality retail store (MYERS,K-MART etc..)

B) – 0 part time work experience (0 work experience of ever being paid a cent)
– 3 month related internship such as (accounting) at a medium sized company (no
company brand recognition at all)

Ceteris paribus

I need your honest opinion guys :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Same chance. If you got summer vac, grad shouldn't be too hard to land unless you dropped below 65 WAM or some shit.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Odds are that you'll need some sort of work experience to have a good chance of landing an internship anyway.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
anyone actually wanna read what I post and answer it? :)
I think you'll find that the people who replied above did.

There is no set in stone formula for getting a job at X place, and if there were it would likely not be public knowledge.

enoilgam

HSC
As I said in your other thread - jobs dont work like a maths equation, they are based on a multitude of factors. You need to get your head out of this institutionalised way of thinking.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ agreed with above.

To answer Op's original question, it really depends on what you learnt as a result of both those experiences and how they are relevant/beneficial to the firm you're applying for. At this level though, there's no such thing as irrelevant work experience because it's the behaviours and values/experiences which improve your employability.

Also worth noting, a big company like Kmart or Maccas typically has a proper structured training regime and more formal roles/relationships within the organisation. Without discounting your second option of unknown small firm, I'd say it comes down to how one could explain what they learnt and how it was relevant which will differentiate the two.

UNSW WSC - Scotty

HSC
Why not do both?

Start at the retailer to earn some money and build a track record. You want to be seen as hard working, willing, realiable etc.

You can drop off from the retailer to do the internship. If you've been a good worker your boss will understand (he knows Kmart isn't your future), if not its probably time to find somewhere else anyway.

Then you've got on your resume a good track record, some good skills, probably some training and a bunch of references.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
While even things like retail might not seem relevant, your experience in a professional work environment would be particularly valued.

enoilgam

HSC
While even things like retail might not seem relevant, your experience in a professional work environment would be particularly valued.
To be honest, any experience is good when applying for a job, especially if you can demonstrate that you have developed transferable skills. Obviously, industry experience is best, but things like working at Maccas etc all have value on a job application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)