Which option should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Will Hunting

HSC
I've recently transferred schools and, for some reason, have been granted the discretion to actually choose, myself, the Physics and Chem options I'm to undertake. At first I thought this sounded cool, but, perusing the syllabuses and weighing each topic against the others, I've been hard pressed to put my foot down and actually commit to an option in both subjects.

If anyone's had any experience with any of the options (probably only secondary school graduates) in Physics and Chem or knows anything, useful to me, about them, please post in this thread. I'm looking for the options that are the least work-intensive (due to the time I've lost in changing schools) and that make it easiest to pick up marks in the trials and HSC exams. Thanks heaps!

funking_you

G'day

With chemistry there are really only two ways to go in your situation;

1). Shipwrecks
2). Industrial

If you understood electrochemistry in module one, and you dont mind doing some more of it, choose shipwrecks, its also very straightforward as you can relate to most of the concepts studies.

Choose industrial is you enjoyed module 3, particularly the haber process, its about the industrial production of chemicals, and you learn much more than just chemical equations, its very much like the case study you did on haber process, just in this case, its like doing 5 case studies.

With regards to physics,

1). Astrophysics
2) Quanta to Quarks

Choose astro, if you enjoyed and 'actually' studies in y11, it is an extension of the 'space' topic of y11. If your interested in astronomy, its the best pick.

Quanta, is very good if you study chemistry, cause concepts such as nuclear chemistry overlap here, if you enjoy physics and are interested in topics such as the atomic bomb and the 'sub-atomic' composition of the atom, this is your pick

Best of Luck
George

Will Hunting

HSC
Yeah, but...

Thanks for the pointers George! A couple of questions, though...

I've learned that the option, "Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservation" involves a substantial number of first-hand practical investigations. Because I'm supposed to be "making up" an option due to the transfer of schools and lost time, I'm worried this may present some insurmountable challenges. Should this be a cause for concern?

In the Chemistry vein, I'm leaning most toward The Chemistry of Art because it seems to draw certain parallels to Quantum Mechanics (Niels Bohr and Hydrogen spectra/Pauli's Exclusion Principle), a topic that interests me. Is this a bad route, though?

Physics-wise, I had almost rested on the Quantum option because of my aforementioned predisposition, but, now that you mention it, I do enjoy Astronomy, too. The Astrophysics option din't appeal to me as much, however, as it seemed to necessitate alot of practical activity, perhaps demanding the use of equipment not readily available to me (interferometers/telescopes). What do you think?

Incidentally, I missed the two options at my new school because they were delivered in Term 4, 2004 (Forensic Chem/Medical Phys); that's why I'm being asked to choose and make up options of my own. I don't like either of those (both too morbid), but should I just do them because my teacher's had some recent exposure to them?

Cheers man!

funking_you

G'day again,

Shipwrecks involved approx 3 important first hand invesigations, however they are very fundemental, in which they can be learnt from theory.

HOWEVER if you really enjoy chemistry and are GOOD AT IT, and your also planning to continue on with it at university i would STRONG RECOMMEND chem of art, its a very facinating topic, very much like the old chem syllabus years back.
Its mainly theoretical,and is the perfect introduction to quantum chemistry.

You must keep in mind that that option investigated many 'new' concepts, especially to do with the fundemental make up of the atom, but if your up for the journey, go for it.

As for physics, if you are a science student at heart, and you enjoy your physics, go for quanta! (and yes it has less practicals)

Keep in mind, your always more than welcome to email me for help with either topic at
george@chemistrycoach.com.au

I've taught both options and love them dearly.

Best of luck
George

Will Hunting

HSC
Thanks heaps George! I've taken your e-mail address down so I'll be in touch for sure!

And, yes, I have developed a taste for both sciences. I couldn't say, for certain, whether I'd carry them into my tertiary studies, but I certainly haven't ruled either of them out. I just don't know what the future holds yet.

Going by the information you've supplied me, and the shine I've taken to quantum mechanics, The Chem of Art seems the option for me. Thanks.

The same goes for Quanta in Physics, and, although I've heard it's not well received by some Physics students, I can see it doing the job for me.

I don't know if you're familiar with this, but the event that triggered my passion for the Quantum World was a reference called, simply, "Quantum", written by an Englishman, Jim Al-Khalili. It's a really colourful and informative text. You should check it out! Cya!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)