Paragraph 1: Poem 1 + Play
Paragraph 2: Poem 2 + Play
Paragraph3 : Poem 1 + Poem3 + Play

OR
Structure2
Paragraph 1: Poem 1 + Play
Paragraph 2: Poem 2 + Play
Paragraph3 : Poem 1 + Play

I used Structure 1 in two assessment tasks at school and got high A, but both times the feedback says i tend to lose some focus in my last paragraph. I think this is cos i talk about Poem3 and the paragraph becomes too long.

Do you think i should just go with Structure 2; i worry that if i remove Poem 3 my discussion looks unbalanced as I will talk about Poem 1 a lot.

Thanks

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
structure 2 if ppl said u lost focus in #1

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
This is a common difficulty with the comparative study, so don't worry, you're not alone in this. My suggestions would be to change your 3 paragraph structure to 4 paragraphs of ~200 words each, and have them on the sole texts alone. So;

Paragraph 1 - Poem 1 + brief links to any other poems
Paragraph 2 - Play
Paragraph 3 - Poem 2 + brief links to any other poems
Paragraph 4 - Play

I think the issue with the 3 paragraph structure is that you spend considerably more time on the Poems (remembering your study of the poems is as a singular prescribed text that is merely broken up into different sections). Having that 4th paragraph would balance out the content of your essay more clearer, and making sure your links to the other poems are merely one liners that are like "... a similar notion emphasised throughout 'Poem 3/4/5'" would make sure that your analysis is comprehensive. It is also a good idea to remember to find the links between your poems and the play within the paragraphs (not saying you don't, but just a general reminder). The 4 paragraph structure also allows you to develop 2 key points of argument and spread those across both texts. That is just my opinion on how you should structure it, but if Structure 1 has worked for you in the past, then by all means stick with it as it clearly has not limited you.

Edit: Sorry, after posting I only just realised you balanced the paragraphs with Poems + Play. In that case, you might as well stick with Structure 1, or do a 3rd poem for paragraph 3 in Structure 2 to avoid heavily relying on 1 poem from a collection of poems.

Last edited:

superSAIyan2

HSC
^ Thanks for your great advice. I decided to stick with Structure 1 as my analysis for poem 1 is better than the other poems. Also i only have about 3-4 sentences on poem 3 and thats inadequate for a whole paragraph.

+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)