Which subject to do first: FINS1612 or FINS2624 (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
Please see title for question.

Do these courses overlap at all?

I'm tempted to do FINS2624 first because it seems to be a prerequisite for more things and I think I want to major in finance but FINS1612 seems a lot easier and I don't know if it's more appropriate to do easier courses first so you can kind of build a foundation for doing harder courses. I'll be doing ECON1202 and ECON1203 next sem and the course outline for FINS2624 states that it extends upon knowledge established in those two ECON subjects so I don't know if it'd be better to wait until after I've done those courses?

Also, is FINS2624 a big step up from FINS1613?

Thoughts?

Edit: I'm probably not going to have enough room to do both FINS1612 and FINS2624 together next sem with other subjects that I want/need to do and I can't overload because I've only done 30UOC all up.

Last edited:

Confound

HSC
fins2624 is easy. Dw about it. The only challenging finance subjects are ACF, SAV and options

HSC
N/A
bruh what are you thinking, just do 1612 first.. it definitely gives a good base for finance. Not sure what those 2 dudes above are talking about, do it in order, you wont regret it. You're only in second year next year anyway, so you can do it in sem 2. Then in year 3 you do the level 3 subs.

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
You're only in second year next year anyway, so you can do it in sem 2.
LOL

I did it in sem 1 2016, and I got higher for it than 1612 in s2 2016 maybe because I'm more of a numbers/calcs guy, but also largely because the assessment structure in semester 1 isn't as f**ked. If I were you, I would check out previous course outlines and compare s1 and s2 - that's the best you can do. S1 final tends to be easier than S2, and there tends to be more free marks on the table for 2624 [although fins mid-sems are always hard. If the mid-sem isn't hard, the final will be hard and vice versa. My mid-sem was f**ked but the final was alright, and I heard that in s2 this year, the mid-sem was alright and the final was f**ked. Keep in mind that the final is always weighted equally/more than the mid-sem].

photastic

HSC
LOL

I did it in sem 1 2016, and I got higher for it than 1612 in s2 2016 maybe because I'm more of a numbers/calcs guy, but also largely because the assessment structure in semester 1 isn't as f**ked. If I were you, I would check out previous course outlines and compare s1 and s2 - that's the best you can do. S1 final tends to be easier than S2, and there tends to be more free marks on the table for 2624 [although fins mid-sems are always hard. If the mid-sem isn't hard, the final will be hard and vice versa. My mid-sem was f**ked but the final was alright, and I heard that in s2 this year, the mid-sem was alright and the final was f**ked. Keep in mind that the final is always weighted equally/more than the mid-sem].
I heard differently and people would've preferred S2 for FINS2624 since S1 goes into more depth with black scholes. Please keep in mind OP that the lecturer in charge for S1 is no longer at UNSW so there will be a completely different lecturer in charge next year for S1.

FINS1612 is 95% qualitatively, where content can be simply rote learn (Not much understanding is required) with more assessments that may be tedious for some. FINS2624 is rather well balanced with quantitative and qualitative which although content is a bit more difficult to understand some prefer this subject since there are more calculations and mathematics. It does use ECON1202 and ECON1203 but only to the extent of applying the formulas for statistics (covariance, expected value and variance) for which a primer was given out before the course. In terms of which subject is easier, I wouldn't say one subject is easier than the other but keep in mind FINS2624 is a prerequisite for the final core subject for finance FINS3616 whereas FINS1612 is a prerequisite for a few finance electives. I would say FINS2624 is an extension of what you learnt with discounting and the capm from FINS1613, not a huge step up but it is definitely not a cake walk like FINS1613 was.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I've already done and completed my finance major at unsw, best advice is to do your shit in order, theres no use going into higher levels of finance for no reason.

matchalolz

HSC
Late reply but thanks for all your comments!

I think I will stick with FINS2624 because from what I've gathered it's harder and more quantitatively inclined. I'm not naturally super beast with numbers/calculations, like I'd probably get passes for my exams and only when I put in more time and effort will I get DNs/HDs.

For reasons that I'm not going to disclose I'll have a lot more time to use to study/uni in semester 1 compared to semester 2 which is probably the main factor driving my decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)