which subjects are mainly revolved around maths or require many calculations? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
^^in terms of senior subjects (obviously besides maths)
Essentially, it is unlikely that a Stage 6 subject other than maths will feature an element of calculation that is as significant as that of Stage 6 maths subjects. Of course, this does not suggest that there are no subjects other than maths that involve calculations at HSC level. The following subjects involve a fair degree of mathematical calculations:
  • Physics - As Aeonium mentioned, Physics includes a decent element of mathematical calculations. Such calculations may be related to concepts such as time, distance, angles, and range.
  • Chemistry - Calculations that you may need to complete in Chemistry include those related to energy, percentages of chemical compounds, volume and equilibrium-related calculations.
  • Economics - Calculations that are part of the Economics course include those such as balance of payments, inflation rate and balance of goods and services.
  • Business Studies - A number of calculations are involved in Business Studies, particularly as part of the finance topic in the HSC course, where students learn to calculate and interpret a total of 7 financial ratios. Examples include the current ratio as well as the net profit ratio.
Another subject that involves (although to a significantly lesser extent than the above-mentioned subjects) mathematical calculations (manipulation/interpretation may be a more accurate way of describing it) is Information Processes and Technology. Mathematical information that you may be required to interpret as part of an IPT HSC exam includes:
  • size of data
  • image file size
I hope this helps! 😄

carrotsss

HSC
for the sciences is this correct?
bio-alot of content
chem-mainly content+ Some calcs
physics-mainly calcs
I’d say chem and physics are both mostly calcs and some content, the content isn’t really too complicated though. I don’t do bio, but I’ve heard it’s is basically just a ton of content

Idontevenknow1234

HSC
N/A
I’d say chem and physics are both mostly calcs and some content, the content isn’t really too complicated though. I don’t do bio, but I’ve heard it’s is basically just a ton of content
ohh okay, would physics have more calculations than chemistry?

Nedom

HSC
Conversely, a math/calculations-oriented person too like carrotsss, but I absolutely hated chemistry calculations, some cringe ass shiz that's the furthest thing from mathematical thinking. Physics and Engineering are the only subjects (that I took for Yr11 or 12) that are even remotely close to maths in my opinion. You can visualise or understand where the formulas come from (many you can derive yourself (varying difficulties though)), whereas the math in chemistry is much more conceptual.

chilli 412

oo la la
HSC
Conversely, a math/calculations-oriented person too like carrotsss, but I absolutely hated chemistry calculations, some cringe ass shiz that's the furthest thing from mathematical thinking. Physics and Engineering are the only subjects (that I took for Yr11 or 12) that are even remotely close to maths in my opinion. You can visualise or understand where the formulas come from (many you can derive yourself (varying difficulties though)), whereas the math in chemistry is much more conceptual.
whats the maths like in engineering studies?

Nedom

HSC
whats the maths like in engineering studies?
Tbh I don't remember too much as I dropped it in year 11 (was way too content heavy for me, and the way it's taught in schools is an absolute troll, the speed at which it is taught to cover each topic is also horrendous). So hopefully somebody else can provide a more detailed answer instead of one from me that is full of uncertainity.

yanujw

HSC
physics-mainly calcs
Don't get an idea of physics as just being another 2 units of math. There's definitely calculations, however a huge part of physics success is also understanding concepts, providing reasoning for explanations, interpreting data and comprehending large ideas of information that reminded me of essay preparation at times.

Looking back, I'd say about 35% of physics is calculations. Do not go into the subject purely for a love of math.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
for the sciences is this correct?
bio-alot of content
chem-mainly content+ Some calcs
physics-mainly calcs
I'd say chem is probably more calcs than it is content, whilst bio is purely content with occasional very basic math relating to working scientifically skills or sampling techniques/ cell diagrams in the prelim course. I don't do physics so no clue on that one. The maths in chemistry is pretty basic, the difficult part is actually identifying what you need to do with the numbers 😭
I do mx2, but I actually like bio more than chem hahah

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Original Poster said:
would u say physics concepts r more complicated and difficult to understand than chemistry concepts? (ik it depends on the person but just in ur opinion)
I don't do physics but it typically scales very similarly to chem, hence the difficulty is probably very similar (some years chem scales better, some years physics does). My friend who does chem/phys likes physics more (but they don't like maths 💀), I think it's a pretty subjective thing like you said

dsakvyilsa

HSC
this!!!!! imo the hardest part of chem maths isn't the math itself, it's figuring out what you actually need to do 💀

Vall

HSC
Original Poster said:
would u say physics concepts r more complicated and difficult to understand than chemistry concepts? (ik it depends on the person but just in ur opinion)
I would say that the concepts themselves in physics are harder than chemistry. However, I don't think the topics in physics are getting tested to their full extent in the HSC so you can get away with a non-perfect understanding of some topics. Chemistry however seems to require a more in-depth understanding of the simpler topics (this is from what I remember doing chem last year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)