Which text to do for assessment? (1 Viewer)

Pubert

HSC
My english teacher warned us that in a couple of weeks we have an assesment task to do and that we should start looking and reading a novel or film that conveys gender relations?

Any recommendations are welcome, but it is preferable that this novel isnt extraordinarily long and that it is pretty well known on the internet so i can get furthur information.

Thanks for the help :)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
gender relations...this is a rather broad topic. i suppose you could read something that centralised upon the inequality of women in society, or the revolutionary feminist movement. something a bit more contempoary and controversial would be marriage and divorce, and to a certain extend, homosexuality.

at the moment, the only text i could think of is brokeback mountain LOL. i suppose its just been 'the buzz' around at the moment.

jessiej87

HSC
- the yellow wallpaper by charlotte perkins gilman - a short story

- once were warriors by lee tamahori

- the colour purple by speilburg (it has oprah in it) - its a musical as well so there should be a bit about it

- elizabeth may be??

-how to loose a guy in 10 days - as its basically the theme

thats all i can think of off the top of my head

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
for a rather amusing and more comical approach, have a look at the Blackadder Series (starring Rowan Atkinson, AKA Mr. Bean), paying particular attention to "Bob". She appears in Blackadder II and Blackadder goes Forth.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
This sounds like yr12 gendered language all over again

Lets see for that unit i used

- Never Been Kissed

- 12th Night

- Romeo & Juliet (there is an interesting article on the web about juliets role in the play - its a bit of a different approach to the traditional view of juliet - if your interested i'll see if i can find it again)

- there is another one which the name evades me... oh thats it 'He says, she says'

- there is a good little sonnet collection - called Sonnets from an Ungrafted Tree which was also really quiet good. (plus there is quiet a good article on it which explains some of the key themes)

and just to what jessiej87 said Elizabeth is a great film for gendered study - it really looks at the roles and reversals of the common roles for men and women adn there are ALOT of film techniques used throughout the film to show this

Pubert

HSC
Thanks for all the suggestions, is the yellow wallpaper like pretty well known as i have to choose a significant text.

Just an extra question, i remembered macbeth and how lady macbeth has power over her husband, would this be a good text?

I was recently informed that we will be needing to write a 6min speech about this, we have yet to be formally given the assesment task.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Pubert said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, is the yellow wallpaper like pretty well known as i have to choose a significant text.

Just an extra question, i remembered macbeth and how lady macbeth has power over her husband, would this be a good text?

I was recently informed that we will be needing to write a 6min speech about this, we have yet to be formally given the assesment task.
MacBeth would be an excellent play to do for this gender relations thing.

On the issue of feminism, there is a very very very complex speech by active Canadian writer and feminist, Margaret Atwood. She was the one who wrote the poem "Journey to the Interior".

The speech is entitled "Spotty-Handed Villainesses", one the perscribed speeches that is part of the "Speeches" section of the "Critical Study of Texts" HSC Advanced English module.

here is a link to that speech. http://www.web.net/owtoad/vlness.html

enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)