• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which textbook teaches the syllabus theory best? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
I've read the various Chem textbook threads but have a more specific requirement.

-- Which textbook explains the theory the best, and sticks to the syllabus?

I have big gaps in my understanding of Production of Materials & Acidic Environment. Literally failed our first test! Only textbook I have is Dotpoint, which has great questions but no theory.

So I'd like a book which has detailed and understandable theory, one whose structure matches perfectly with the syllabus, so I can cross-reference it with the syllabus and my Dotpoint book questions quite easily.

mioumiou

HSC
I've read the various Chem textbook threads but have a more specific requirement.

-- Which textbook explains the theory the best, and sticks to the syllabus?

I have big gaps in my understanding of Production of Materials & Acidic Environment. Literally failed our first test! Only textbook I have is Dotpoint, which has great questions but no theory.

So I'd like a book which has detailed and understandable theory, one whose structure matches perfectly with the syllabus, so I can cross-reference it with the syllabus and my Dotpoint book questions quite easily.
I know that I'm only in Year 11 so I'm not sure about Year 12 Chemistry textbooks and my advice may not be as correct as the others. But I've used both Jacaranda and Conquering Chemistry. It's a great combination of textbooks in my opinion. I used Conquering for theory and Jacaranda for some prac notes. However, I've found Jacaranda is the BEST at following the syllabus dot point and Conquering is the best of building the basic concepts. :p

Good luck with your studying!! :)

Pyramid

HSC
However, I've found Jacaranda is the BEST at following the syllabus dot point and Conquering is the best of building the basic concepts. :p
Haha damn, don't really wanna purchase the two of them...moreso going for a single, ultimate source (I'm terribly unorganised. More textbooks = more mess and bother)

Thanks and luck to you too

mioumiou

HSC
Haha damn, don't really wanna purchase the two of them...moreso going for a single, ultimate source (I'm terribly unorganised. More textbooks = more mess and bother)

Thanks and luck to you too
Haha, oh well, I can understand that one single method won't suit everyone. :uhhuh:
However, the Majority of schools uses Conquering more than Jacaranda i suppose (but I'm not sure) so yeah, go for Conquering Chem. It will also be a good idea to go to a bookshop and have a look at it, which will give you an idea of which textbook's the BEST! :p

Pyramid

HSC
However, the Majority of schools uses Conquering more than Jacaranda i suppose (but I'm not sure) so yeah, go for Conquering Chem. It will also be a good idea to go to a bookshop and have a look at it, which will give you an idea of which textbook's the BEST! :p
True, I will get to a shop when I can....atm studying for other course exams, thankfully not Chem lol :mad1:

Anymore opinions? I tried d'ling the preview of the Chapter 1 of Jacaranda, I signed up but it still wouldn't give me my download. Odd.

mioumiou

HSC
True, I will get to a shop when I can....atm studying for other course exams, thankfully not Chem lol :mad1:

Anymore opinions? I tried d'ling the preview of the Chapter 1 of Jacaranda, I signed up but it still wouldn't give me my download. Odd.
I signed up for that as well, but it's the same as you. I don't think you can use it until you've actually bought the product. :(

js992

HSC
Conquering Chemistry would be the best as it is relevant to the syllabus while still detailed.

Jacaranda goes into far too much detail, while this is good, it's hard to tell the depth of knowledge you're required to know with just Jacaranda.

Chemistry Contexts is also quite good, the level of detail would be in between the two books, however it isn't ordered properly by syllabus dot points and may get slightly annoying.

If you do go for just one book, conquering would be the best.

Dot point is good once you've learnt all the theory and you want to consolidate your learning

forward

HSC
Chem Contexts is pretty good for theory I reckon. It's really really easy to read and comprehend the explanations so you get a solid understanding of most of the concepts.

However as I think it's been said it only vaguely follows the order of the syllabus dot points, so it can be annoying to make notes from.

js992

HSC
Actually, you should go to the resource section for chemistry.

Look for notes from Ahmad Shah Idil, get his syllabus summaries and use those as a reference/ model for your notes, they are godly :)

You should still make your own notes, but pretend this summary is like another textbook.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Conquering Chem, from experience, was great.

mioumiou

HSC
Actually, you should go to the resource section for chemistry.

Look for notes from Ahmad Shah Idil, get his syllabus summaries and use those as a reference/ model for your notes, they are godly :)

You should still make your own notes, but pretend this summary is like another textbook.
His notes are GREAT!! however, I wish he can put the prelim chem notes like the ones he had for Biology. :(

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
There's a number of things which are wrong in his chem notes, so just be careful.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Jacaranda , Dot Point and Conquering Chem are really good.

js992

HSC
There's a number of things which are wrong in his chem notes, so just be careful.
Hence why it should be used in conjunction with another textbook (probably conquering chemistry)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)