Which textbooks should I get for Year 12? (1 Viewer)

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Hey guys, I'm going to go to Five Senses (book shop) tomorrow to get all my textbooks for my subjects, and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend I get. The subjects I do are:

Advanced English
Advanced Mathematics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Modern History
Ancient History
Drama

No price limit. Just whatever you guys think is good, because I'm not too familiar with any of the textbooks.

Thanks!

zeebobDD

HSC
Well for mathematics ext 1, i reckon you should get the cambridge 3u book(green one)

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Thanks but I already have that one because that's the one our school gives us. It's pretty good I guess, but I'd prefer one that divides questions on each topic into levels (Eg Easy, Medium, Hard). I know the Cambridge one divides their books into Development and Extension, but it's way too broad if you know what I mean

nightweaver066

HSC
Hey guys, I'm going to go to Five Senses (book shop) tomorrow to get all my textbooks for my subjects, and I was just wondering what you guys would recommend I get. The subjects I do are:

Advanced English
Advanced Mathematics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Modern History
Ancient History
Drama

No price limit. Just whatever you guys think is good, because I'm not too familiar with any of the textbooks.

Thanks!
2U and 3U Fitzpatrick books for mathematics. Although the questions are not sorted by difficulty, if you can complete all the questions, you're set.

Don't forget to add past papers on top of those so you get exposed to exam-style questions.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Adv English - none
2U - Fitzpatrick
3U - Cambridge, Terry Lee
Modern - none

Don't do other subs.

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Thanks! And when you say "Don't do other subs" do you mean "Don't buy books for them" or "Don't do those subjects"

Doctorwhoislike

HSC
N/A
i assume your school is giving you set books for ear 12 though? so you get a maths text book and a school library in which you are borrowing the texts you will be studying?
for our school, we need for year 12:
4 related texts for belonging
2 or 3 for history and memory
none for Frankestein / blade runner
none for Gwen Harwood critical study

findx

HSC
Adv English - Probably a study guide for the text you are doing
Maths Ext 1- Fitzpatrick and Cambridge. the 3unit textbooks will usually cover the 2unit topics
Ancient History - Antiquity 2

silentdreamer

HSC
for our school, we need for year 12:
4 related texts for belonging
wow 4 related texts for belonging? our school suggests 2, or 3 at most.

to OP: i don't do any of your subs other than eng and maths, but for maths i'd either get Cambridge or Fitzpatrick, but if you want something simple to cover the basics, then maybe maths in focus? i don't know of any other books that divide their questions into levels besides Cambridge though.

for adv. eng - you really don't need any textbooks but if you want a head start on your texts, maybe borrow some study guides from your school library or local library, don't waste your money buying them.

Aliyas

HSC
For advanced English, I'd go with the Excel Advanced English textbook, I'm fairly certain it analyses all the texts and modules. Excel also does individual guides for certain texts.

Aliyas

HSC
lol don't waste money on english textbooks they will hardly help.
I agree, it would be much better to use the money on maths textbooks. But some people do find English textbooks helpful...to each his own I suppose. *shrugs*

magoshitsjosh

HSC
Thanks everyone! Just bought Fitzpatrick 2U and 3U (Already have the Cambridge). For Ancient I went with Antiquity 2 and for English I'm just going to get a study guide for Julius Caesar for now (the one's that translate everything into plain modern day English). Drama I'm going to get Living Drama, as well as study guides for Caucasian Chalk Circle and Threepenny Opera and for Modern I'm not getting any.

Thanks everyone for the advice on what books I should get!

Bobbo1

HSC

Advanced English
Advanced Mathematics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Modern History
Ancient History
Drama

Thanks!
English: no need to buy any textbooks but it's good to borrow the study guides, Top Notes books as you move through the modules
Maths: Fitzpatrick, past papers, past papers, past papers, past papers (Coroneus is good for solutions if you need them)
3U: Fitzpatrick 3U, Cambridge 3U (the first part is 2U stuff), past papers, past papers, past papers, past papers (again Coroneus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)