Which trial papers are usually the most difficult? (1 Viewer)

Isomorph

HSC
That's interesting, I'd have imagined that they could just get you to sit the exams even without attending regular classes though, if they offer extension 2?

Although in any case that still leaves you with 3 years which is still plenty to gain a great mark!

5uMath

HSC
That's interesting, I'd have imagined that they could just get you to sit the exams even without attending regular classes though, if they offer extension 2?

Although in any case that still leaves you with 3 years which is still plenty to gain a great mark!
Its a lot more complex. You have to prove completion of Stage 5 content, then your school proposes the case to NESA who gives them a yes or no, then your school sets a program and begins. Unfortunately with the current circumstances, it has made things alot more difficult. I would prefer to postpone this so that I can take this course in a classroom and not over a laptop.

The trial exams from BOS have now interested me. Would it be worth taking both of them? What are the pros and cons from doing this?

Isomorph

HSC
Its a lot more complex. You have to prove completion of Stage 5 content, then your school proposes the case to NESA who gives them a yes or no, then your school sets a program and begins. Unfortunately with the current circumstances, it has made things alot more difficult. I would prefer to postpone this so that I can take this course in a classroom and not over a laptop.

The trial exams from BOS have now interested me. Would it be worth taking both of them? What are the pros and cons from doing this?
Yes, definitely have a go at the BoS trials! I would have last year had the syllabus not changed, but I'd encourage you to take full advantage of the opportunity to practice given that the syllabus won't be changing much anytime soon (except perhaps for this year, we'll see what happens)!

5uMath

HSC
Yes, definitely have a go at the BoS trials! I would have last year had the syllabus not changed, but I'd encourage you to take full advantage of the opportunity to practice given that the syllabus won't be changing much anytime soon (except perhaps for this year, we'll see what happens)!
In what way could the syllabus change this year?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The BoS trials typically occur in October every year just before the HSC exams usually commence. This will indeed be the first year it will be written under the new syllabus, but there is the added uncertainty of NESA's decisions for this year's HSC exams. It is too early to make any calls on what this year's trials will look like.

5uMath

HSC
The BoS trials typically occur in October every year just before the HSC exams usually commence. This will indeed be the first year it will be written under the new syllabus, but there is the added uncertainty of NESA's decisions for this year's HSC exams. It is too early to make any calls on what this year's trials will look like.
Okay, thank you for your help!!

5uMath

HSC
Last question before I go (sorry), can you take a reference sheet?

5uMath

HSC
The reference sheet is usually provided on the day.
Thank you! Would you possibly know yet if the exams will continue this year and when enrolments might open? I am looking forward to them!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thank you! Would you possibly know yet if the exams will continue this year and when enrolments might open? I am looking forward to them!
As mentioned previously, it is too early to make that call.

dasfas

HSC
For Chem & Bio, Excel papers are by far the hardest.

Isomorph

HSC
In what way are excel papers hard? As in, do they help you answer high-point value questions or are more focused on problem solving skills?

I have attached two HSC sample chemistry questions for content within module 7 and 8 to illustrate what I mean.

The first (here Question 24 is a hard question because it is difficult to solve, but the second (here Question 30) is hard because it is difficult to go into the detail that the markers would want.

Edit: If anyone here is tempted to give Question 24 a go, feel free to send me your attempts as I do have the solutions!

Attachments

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do you have any alternative plans for the BoS trials if the HSC will still go on?
Possibly, but it’s still early days.
Are there any other exams that BoS does?
Not at the moment. It comes down to whether we can recruit people to form a team to write up a paper for other subjects. We would like to gauge if there is enough interest from students for other subjects as well.

5uMath

HSC
Possibly, but it’s still early days.

Not at the moment. It comes down to whether we can recruit people to form a team to write up a paper for other subjects. We would like to gauge if there is enough interest from students for other subjects as well.
Would it still be possible to run an exam, whether or not is tests all content, regardless of situation and in a supervised environment? Restrictions would have definitely gone down by then, so it would be possible to formulate a system of assessments. If not, it can be a possibility to split up exam sessions, although this may not be fair, so have groups people take the exam in a different room to cooperate with distancing laws if they are still around. I really hope this can somehow still run, because the experience is valuable and necessary.

5uMath

HSC
Hi all,

We have received a lot of questions on the aspects of the HSC and ATAR calculation process ranging from scaling, moderating and aligning. It has become apparent that some confusion exists on how the process works overall. This is important to understand before diving into the finer details of how each step of the process works.

This flowchart attached should give you a high-level understanding of the different types of adjustments that your internal assessment marks and external HSC exam marks are subjected to, before they are ultimately reported to you on your HSC certificate or used to calculate your ATAR. It should also clarify the distinction between the terms 'scaling', 'aligning' and 'moderating'.

Hope you find it useful :)
Thank you so much!!! Can I ask, do you follow a process of moderation when marking the BOS trials, or do we get raw marks?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thank you so much!!! Can I ask, do you follow a process of moderation when marking the BOS trials, or do we get raw marks?
You are given raw marks for BoS trials. Any artificial adjustment in the context of a voluntary trial exam does not really achieve anything.

5uMath

HSC
You are given raw marks for BoS trials. Any artificial adjustment in the context of a voluntary trial exam does not really achieve anything.
What happens to the answers we submit? Do we get them back? I know I have asked quite some questions on this exam, but I am just really intrigued and hope it continues this year for the experience. Sorry 🤣

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)