which uni for art? (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

COFA, I'd say, but that requires a huge interview process with folios etc.

Next I'd go for USyd for Fine Art, or UOW.

nwatts

HSC
I've heard/read that the UOW Creative Arts faculty is very good, as is UNSW's COFA. You might want to have a look at their websites, browse around past threads on BOS, to gauge which one you'd be more keen on.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
well i've looked into all the options, spoken to past students and all of that. here are my dilemmas:

1) i've heard COFA is very theory based and a lot of people didnt like it. and also, apparently their materials and facilities are not so hot. i dont mind the interview process and all of that either cos i've got a lot of stuff i can put into a portfolio, thats no dramas

2) UOW i'd LOVE to go to cos their art faculty is REALLY well reputed, BUT that would mean moving out there and i'd need to get a job... and having lived in newcastle before... i just know it'd be very hard, if not impossible to get a job there... making my costly artmaking practice hard to do.

3) they USYD visual arts degree looks pretty good to me personally, and the samples of work produced from there looks good too, but i havent ever heard of sydney having a strong reputation in the visual arts area

thats why i thought it'd be good to get the perspective of someone who's either doing a visual arts degree now and/or has been through the selection process.

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
i dont really know anyone down there actually.... thats why its slightly daunting i suppose.

im a photographer, but i am getting interested in film a bit these days.... and eventually i want to open my own gallery. how about you?

nwatts

HSC
I'm going through the process of applying to UOW's Creative Arts faculty, so I can't really help you. :( Mind you, the interview process is over the schoolies period. So at the moment i'm dead scared that my precious thousands will be wasted.

A note on Wollongong though - it's pretty easy to find decent work down here. If you've got relatives who would be happy to put you up, I can imagine it'd be a relatively simple endevour.

By the way, what kinds of art are you into?

nwatts

HSC
irnie said:
i dont really know anyone down there actually.... thats why its slightly daunting i suppose.

im a photographer, but i am getting interested in film a bit these days.... and eventually i want to open my own gallery. how about you?
I do bits and pieces of photography and recently some more digital stuff. I'm applying for creative writing though, rather than visual arts. Mind you, it was a tough decision between graphic design and creative writing. :)

Your own gallery? That sounds quite cool!

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
oh ya know... only a pipe dream for now. i was actually considering doing creative writing like a month ago.. what do you want to do with that eventually?

nwatts

HSC
irnie said:
oh ya know... only a pipe dream for now. i was actually considering doing creative writing like a month ago.. what do you want to do with that eventually?
Not sure at the moment. :)

I've applied to go into a double degree: Creative Arts (creative writing) / Communications and Media Studies (journalism). So I hope to move into print journalism, and i've chosen to apply for creative writing more because I really enjoy it, and i've often heard that it can help in smoothing out a solid style of writing. Plus, UOW has a postgrad program for Arts / Creative Arts students specifically training future journalists, which i'm very keen on.

But i'll just have to wait and see! The BCM needs an UAI of 90, which I don't think i'll get (awful maths marks). If it so happens that I get placed in the single creative arts degree i'll aim to write plays/short stories (and hope to steer as far away from poetry as I can!). I've had a lot of sucess in high school writing short stories - and the stage/screen is where my heart's at (or so to speak!) - so i'll aim to merge the two. :p

HSC
N/A
irnie said:
1) i've heard COFA is very theory based and a lot of people didnt like it. and also, apparently their materials and facilities are not so hot. i dont mind the interview process and all of that either cos i've got a lot of stuff i can put into a portfolio, thats no dramas
Isn't entrance to COFA completely UAI based - so, no interview or portfolio?

I know SCA at USYD is portfolio/interview/questionnaire and UAI over 70 - but I was under the impression all undergraduate degrees at COFA were UAI based, with recommended studies in Visual Arts and assumed knowledge (bar Art Theory and Digital Media)

Correct me if I'm wrong? :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Well, im planning on teaching art.. so, im jsut doing a course at newcastle university. its a teaching course, majoring in visual arts.
this probly isnt relevent tho :p

but, does anyone know where i can get a topic list for the course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)