Which Uni For Mech Eng? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hi pplz, im doing my hsc this year and im wondering which uni to got to for mechanical engineering. at the moment im thinking i might go in order:

1, unsw
2, usyd
3, uts

if anyone who goes to either of these unis and doing this course please make any comments as to what might be on offer, or anything else like transport or class hours... etc wateva you can dig up really that just so happens in everyday mech-eng uni life.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm currently in a BE(Mech/Space)/BSc, and I chose USyd for the following reasons:
1. They offer space engineering, which interests me.
2. Transport.
3. They have more pure maths units on offer, and I am able to do more than one major for my science degree without significant overloading.

The hours for a normal mech eng student will be hovering around 20-24 hours a week, and that'll generally mean you're at uni 5 days a week. There's also the Formula SAE program for later years mechancial and mechatronics students, which you can read more about on the website: www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au.

I've also heard many good things about the amme program at UNSW, and was going to do it there until early December when I change my mind for the three reasons I've mentioned above, really whichever uni you go to you can't lose.:)

PS You might want to try posting this thread in the UNSW/UTS forums or the uni general forum if you want opinions from people in those courses.;)

HSC
aight thanx dood :uhhuh:

i must say im probably more excited to go to uni to do formula sae than the actual uni course itself in which im hoping to get into something like automotive mech eng.

esther

HSC
im in 3rd yr mechanical engineering at usyd...
i chose usyd over unsw because of travel reasons... a train trip islong enough...
currently in the formula sae team aswell this yr...
its interesting and you actualli get hands on experience... you actually see the thesis guys doing theyre designs and actually using thestuff we do in class in their design... we machine and make most of the car at our workshop starting from the frame to the brakes...

fsae is for 2nd yrs and up i think too... so you cant do it 1st yr
but theres another thing called advanced engineering which you can do if you have a high uai... which involves being in groups and designing something which you need to make and market aswelll i think, dunno much about it though...

message me or email meat est10o4@hotmail.com if you have questions

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)