Which Uni is best for media and communications? (1 Viewer)

leapfrog1

HSC
Hey guys. I've been giving alot of thought to the Media and Comm courses at either:
- USyd
- UTS
-UNSW

From personal experience or otherwise, would you be able to tell me which course offers the best preparation etc.

Thanks heaps :)

Kralex

HSC
lol at "if your arab".

The course seems to be mostly in demand at UTS and I guess that says something.

Teachers at school recommend Sturt or Gong tho.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS has the rep for it, should be similar/same tho anywhere.

Kralex

HSC
Ultimately though, success in a media and communications depends on work experience and contacts.

However, I'm not in Uni so I'm talking out of my ass :D

leapfrog1

HSC
contacts won't be an issue as I know ppl in the field which i spose will hopefully work to my advantage.

LAMBERS16

HSC
Depends what branch you wanna do in media and communications...eg. Journalism, Advertising, PR etc...but the best unis that have the best industry reputations are UTS and CSU. Got told by many people at News Limited during work experience that Syd Uni's course is far too theory based, and lacks in practical work opportunities...apparently its left to the final year of your degree etc...whereas with institutions like UTS and CSU it's more or less expected or encouraged from first year!

Hope that helps.

frankechanel

HSC
N/A
Depends what branch you wanna do in media and communications...eg. Journalism, Advertising, PR etc...but the best unis that have the best industry reputations are UTS and CSU. Got told by many people at News Limited during work experience that Syd Uni's course is far too theory based, and lacks in practical work opportunities...apparently its left to the final year of your degree etc...whereas with institutions like UTS and CSU it's more or less expected or encouraged from first year!

Hope that helps.

Im at Usyd doing media and communications and disgree with this viewpoint. The main point of difference that Usyd offers is that you can pursue an arts major and a business major as well as media and comm--which you spend a semester on each media area (i.e radio broadcasting, public relations etc).
This is the reason I chose the degree--your work options are much more versatile at the end.

That and media at Usyd does exchaneg with Upenn and the university of north carolina at chapel hill--which are really well regarded schools in NYC journalism/publishing worlds.

Also, the practical experience you refer to is actually the designated subject of the internship program. The media dep. has really strong relations with the abc and sbs--as many of my lectrors and tutors have worked there. eg. my tutor in first semester had worked for the London Times and Conde Nast in NYC. The course also strongly encourages alumni relations--and there are some graduates in really great spots.
practical skills as well as theory are strongly encouraged--I find it hard to believe how I could complete subjects such as 'radio broadcasting', 'online journalism' and 'video production' without practical work.

One lecturor told me in my first year that although we cannot go as into depth as we could if we were doing it for 3 years, we move at a much faster pace; because of the high uai for the course. (for the first year subject media principles there was at least 100 pages of reading a week, a journalism assignment etc)

UNSW is kind of seen as the fall back course.

Scinery

HSC
It depends on what kind of journalist you want to be. If you want to be a well connected, intellectual elitist, go to usyd. If you want to be an extremely highly skilled, well trained journalist working your way up, go to UTS. Don't come to UNSW.

Better yet, if you want to be a well respected journalist revered as the expert in your field, don't do a freaking media degree. Go into another field and keep writing as a hobby. You can become a journalist when you know what you're talking about. I don't want to read about what a 20 year old thinks is important in my world, I really don't.

SealClubber

HSC
I'm actually interested in this too but i want to get in advertising.
Any particular school that's known for its advertising major?

LAMBERS16

HSC

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A

buiwashere

HSC
I've been thinking for some time now about applying for a media and comm's degree also, and though I have a passion for writing I have been intimidated by the high and unrealistic ATARS required by the top-end universities.

Can anyone offer their insight to an alternative pathway to these courses? Particularly for USYD, MQU, UTS and CSU. So far I only know of UTS' INSIGHT program.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
There are some open entry subjects you can do with CSU which may put you ahead of the pack to gain a HECS place. Single Subject Study - Open Entry - Online supported learning at Charles Sturt University

CSU and many other (non-G of 8) uni's look favourably on TAFE qual's so if you really can't get in anywhere at uni, do an appropriate Cert IV or Diploma at TAFE to get your foot in the door and also get some credits for your hard work.

Media/Comm is not like Accounting or Law where uni status can sometimes be important to lazy employers who want to hire another drone for the treadmill. Media/Comm is more to do with who you know (i.e. network with), how you present yourself (your own self marketing skills) and how outstanding you are at being different and being the best.

Look to see what workshops are being run by Adschool, read the industry magazines/newspapers (there are a fair few), join as a student member to the The Communications Council .

LAMBERS16

HSC
^only go to CSU if you want to spend the rest of your life working for some no-name country bumpkin newspaper/radio station.
You obviously know NOTHING, absolutely nothing about the media industry. It is a nationally outstanding course and has an excellent industry reputation. You say that they all end up at "local", "country bumpkin" stations?" Hahahahaha. Your asinine comment is so far from the truth it is laughable. Oh, and if it was so terrible and useless....then why did all journos at News Limited encourage me to pursue journalism at CSU, as it has the best career opportunities for graduates...? Why do Ray Martin and Mike Munro visit our uni campus from time to time, to keep up to date and in contact with communication students...?

Here are just SOME graduates to prove your statement is bullcrap:

Sarah Armstrong - Author
Samantha Armytage - Seven Network 4.30 news presenter and Weekend Sunrise co-host
Mark Bannerman - ABC Radio National, The 7:30 Report
Alicia Barry - Business Today finance journalist
Chris Bath - Seven News journalist and presenter
Natarsha Belling - Network Ten news presenter
Sally Bowrey - television presenter for The Weather Channel
Andrew Bracey - news reporter for Medical Observer
Tara Brown - 60 Minutes reporter/presenter
Rob Canning - Network Ten presenter for Sports Tonight
Anna Coren - CNN journalist and presenter
Brendan Cowell - actor, screenwriter and director
Aidan Cromarty - political adviser to Rick Colless MLC, NSW Parliament
Andrew Denton - producer and host of Enough Rope
Trevor Dodds - NITV news journalist
Melissa Doyle - Seven Network Sunrise presenter
Celina Edmonds - News presenter for ABC, Sky News and Network Ten
Mike Fitzpatrick (broadcaster) - Triple M Breakfast Show Host
Angelos Frangopoulos - Sky News Australia reporter
Jane Hutcheon - ABC journalist and Foreign Correspondent
Amanda Keller - 2WS FM radio announcer
Andrew Kirk - radio broadcast journalist
Deborah Knight - Network ten newsreader
Allison Langdon - National Nine News reporter
David Mackay - Chief Executive Officer of Kellogg Company
Hamish MacDonald - International Aljazeera English news journalist
Scott McGregor - Television presenter, actor
Marguerite McKinnon - Seven Network journalist
James McTeigue - Hollywood Director
Kate Mitchell - WS-FM weekend newsreader and journalist
Matthew Moore - Sydney Morning Herald journalist
Thai Neave - Fox Sports news presenter, Sports Tonight reporter for Network Ten
James Smith Page - Australian educationist
Karen Pang - Play School presenter
Kathleen Reen - Regional director, journalist and producer for Asia Projects of Internews
Anthony Robertson - Ten News chief of staff and journalist
Chris Roe - Sky News Australia journalist and presenter
Kathryn Robinson - Sky News presenter, Network Ten report and producer
Jessica Rowe - Seven News presenter
Simon Santow - ABC News media reporter
Wayne Sievers - former Australian police officer, trade union official, social justice campaigner and political figure
Hon. Justice Carolyn Chalmers Simpson - Judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales[14]
Shane Stone former Member of the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly, Minister and Chief Minister of the NT; former Federal President of the Liberal Party of Australia
Edna Tse - ATV News Hong Kong journalist and newsreader
Jacinta Tynan - Sky News Australia presenter
Kevin Wilde - National Nine News reporter
Charlotte Wood - novelist
Monique Wright - Seven's Sunrise weather presenter
Jack Yabsley - Saturday Disney presenter, Totally Wild presenter
Jessica Yates - Fox Sports News presenter
Kathleen Bruyn - Nine News Television Reporter

So there it is....the truth :) think very hard before you reply with crap again..because clearly, you are talking bullshit!

Last edited:

mollygray

HSC
Hey everyone...
This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best forums I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative post.........

bubble shooter

Elliee

Crazy Kid
HSC
Hey all! Sorry I know this post hasn't been in action for a while... but I am SO interested in going to CSU for journalism. I've wanted to go there for 2 years now! Is this interview nerve racking, and what type of marks do I need? Also, the essay that has to be submitted... 400 words... AGHH!

robertmartin

Banned
HSC
N/A
Regardless of which Uni you go to, it's you that has to convince an employer that you are good enough for the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)