Which uni is best? (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I really want to do computer science at university and my current plan is to see how I go at getting into USyd. However, I've had mixed reviews from multiple people.. some saying it's a lovely uni with a lovely IT department and others saying that the drop out rate is enormous for CST @ USyd.

What are your opinions on the best uni for CS? :)

Shazer2

HSC
Hey, thanks for those links and I have already enrolled into the Computing 1 course! Pretty keen to give it a shot. :D

I want a uni where I feel secure and not like I'm going to drop out, but I also need a uni where I can actually manage the ATAR. :(

Okashi

HSC
Well there are only three good choices..

USYD : heavy on theory , go here for prestige
UNSW : nice balanced course
UTS : heavy on practical , light on theory

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
A very good friend of mine graduated from UNSW Comp. Sci. last year. He seemed to enjoy his course and landed a job in the first couple of months post graduation. Your experience may not be anything like his, but anyway.

EDIT: didn't realise op had already resolved issue.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Pretty much, i'd argue that for Computer Science and Engineering UNSW have the upper hand with reputation even though USYD might be seen as more prestigious. What you have to keep in mind though is UTS don't have an actual Computer Science course anymore, just the Bachelor of Science in IT which from my understanding (i don't do it so take this with a grain of salt) is mostly IT based with a few computer science-y subjects. That course has no compulsory maths subjects though so it's not comparable to a traditional computer science subject at all.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

as a HSC 2013 student you would have a lot of knowledge on how the courses are at different unis

Shazer2

HSC
I'm still not 100% sure but hopefully I can just get to UoW. :)

donnawhite

HSC
Uni Grad
I really want to do computer science at university and my current plan is to see how I go at getting into USyd. However, I've had mixed reviews from multiple people.. some saying it's a lovely uni with a lovely IT department and others saying that the drop out rate is enormous for CST @ USyd.

What are your opinions on the best uni for CS? :)
From my opinion it is better to choose USyd if there is a good IT department and helping teachers.
If you do work hard nothing is bad and your success is 100% sure.
Best of luck for your better future!!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you do work hard nothing is bad and your success is 100% sure.
True for everything. Especially with IT, Comp Sci, Software Engineering! Having good grades at a reputable uni is just the start too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)