which uni...pls help (1 Viewer)

shazabdazla

hi again, er i just recently read a document stating that graduates from a less prestigious university ( eg southern cross uni or james cook uni vs sydney unis) would receive less work opportunities and appear less favourably in the eyes of employers....is this true???.....also i hear their starting wages are lower...

thanks...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i guess initially more prestigious uni's have a higher offer rate and all, but once you score a job, then it doesnt really matter where you went..
but that being said, it also depends on what course you wanna do and all, like i have a friend that went to macquarie and graduated like last year, and cant get a job (mind you, its in the media industry)
but like, think of your teachers..they would all have a bachelor of arts (or similar) but noone cares where they went, once you have the job its pretty much irrelevant

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so what do you consider a 'less prestegious' uni?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by iambored
so what do you consider a 'less prestegious' uni?
The new, less-established, usually rural universities

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
umm...yeah, just not the main ones..so like, SCU, JCU, UWS to some extent..those sorta uni's

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
CSU is a really difficult one to say...coz like it is a rural uni and stuff..but it has a reasonably good rep (for a rural uni)..

shazabdazla

so if you got distinctions or came first in law/business at scu or jcu, you would still be reasonably sought after compared to someone who got average marks at unsw or usyd???

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i guess so...like whilst the reputation of the learning institution is obviously taken into account, presumably the individual candidate and their abilities would be more important, regardless of university.
but im not sure..but yeah, your marks should outweigh the universities prestigiousness

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Charles Sturt as an exellent rep, esspeically in Media and Comms. The likes of Andrew Denton and Amanda Keller went there.. CSU has a good name.

UNE also does, possibly because it use to be a part of Sydney, but eventually removed itself completly and became independant.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The employer tends to determine how 'prestigious' a university will be. Apart from that, it shouldn't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)