Which uni should I do science at? (1 Viewer)

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I'm aiming for a bachelor of science course next year, but I don't know which uni I should go to. With my marks right now, I should be able to get a UAI of around 80-85. I'm looking at either Sydney, UNSW or Macquarie... I'm also kind of considering University of Queensland or Monash University as well.

So what would you recommend? By the way, I have no idea what I would do for a major.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I know you don't know what kind of major you'd want to be doing, but do you have a particular interest in let's say physics as opposed to biology or chemistry or mathematics or geology? That's just a tip, and you will have to start thinking about majors by the end of your first year of uni, if not before.

Also do you intend to do anything with this BSc? (regardless of major, just think about the career itself) Do you intend to work in research? (look out for research-focused unis), or do you intend to do further study, in which case, will the uni have a lot of postgraduate options available? (whether in your area or something else)

Finally, do you have the resources to move out and have you had a look around at the unis? Each uni has its own vibe and you need to be comfortable studying in that environment and mixing with people there for at least three years. If you do intend to stay in Sydney, is transport an issue too?

Hope that helped!

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Yep, I was thinking of doing a few postgrad years and then moving on to research. My main interests are chem or medicine. So I'll probably stay in Sydney. I have friends who go to each uni, so I can ask them about this, too.

If I stay in Sydney, I'll have no problems with transport, and if I move interstate, I have friends I can stay with, so the choice of uni isn't really a problem.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Since you want to get into research, I think you should go to a university that has very good chemistry or medical research laboratories. A good research project is very important in determining your Honours class, chances of getting into PhD, and scholarship application.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Since you want to get into research, I think you should go to a university that has very good chemistry or medical research laboratories. A good research project is very important in determining your Honours class, chances of getting into PhD, and scholarship application.
I've heard that Monash is a good place to do science research, so I'll look further into that.

Also, USYD, UNSW and MQ are in the top 200 for some list of top unis... would that help in any way?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I don't normally take much note of those kind of rankings because they are inconsistent. 1) Different league tables use different criteria and produces inconsistent results - how can one uni rank say 20 in one ranking and 300 in another? 2) Those rankings look at an overall picture of the university, not faculty or school-specific. A "good" university may have a relatively poor chemistry department, and may not have a research topic that is of interest to you.

I suggest you to visit the websites of those unis you are interested in and look at what areas of research they are into and whether your interests align with theirs.

UNSW, Usyd, UMel, ANU all produce good research.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Also, don't forget to go to the open days--you may be able to ask some of the faculty reps there directly. Of course they will try to promote their course as the best thing since sliced bread but it's also good to have a look around.

doink

Clone
HSC
Considering research is usually done post-graduate you can undertake it at any uni after you complete your bachelors degree.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
If you are thinking of research, you should consider a group of 8 uni.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Iruka said:
If you are thinking of research, you should consider a group of 8 uni.
Well the Group of Eight unis on my list are USYD, UNSW, Monash and University of Queensland. Sounds good... But MQ calls itself Australia's Innovative University... do you think that's true, or is it just shameless self promotion?

EdmondDW

HSC
If ur UAI is higher than 99...U can consider the Ph.B degree in ANU....I am pretty sure it is the best science undergraduate degree in Australia...
From 2009, UNSW also provides a new programme---high performance student programme in advanced science degree, which should be similar to Ph.B degree in ANU....
Hope u enjoy them...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I don't think Macquarie is quite up to it in terms of research in science, at least in the field of chemistry.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Davo1111 said:
squeenie - have a look at ANU, its ranked number 1 uni in Aus, and its part of the 'group of 8'

FAQ - http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=181700
Wow... way to revive an old thread...

Moving to Canberra to go to ANU won't be practical for me... Not right now, anyway.

Anyways, I've decided on B. Science (Biotechnology/Medical/Biomedical) at UTS. Since UTS focuses more on practical than theory, it would be ideal for R&D. Plus I'd be doing some kind of postgrad work afterwards.

Mel, the UAI aim is purely for egoistic purposes. All I need is 76, but I'll aim for over 85, just so I can say, yeah, I got a high UAI.

cp3

HSC
85 uai isn't really that high though its enough for what you need so its okay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)